What's new

Pioneer vsx-d811s or Yamaha HTR-5560 (1 Viewer)

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
Basically the subject says it all. I want to know which one i am better off getting. Will i tell the difference from discrete 6 channel or the matrixed 6.1. Which receiver actually puts out more power. Its a hard pick what does everyone think i should get.

Thanks

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
All I can say is Yamaha. I will only do Yamaha. Sounds great, built like a tank and lasts for ever!

Mike

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Discrete will always be better than matrix. I assume you're referring to DTS-ES Discrete and DTS-ES Matrix. There are very few DTS-ES Discrete titles though.

I picked up the Pioneer VSX-D811S (see earlier threads) and have been giving it a test run while I decide if I'm going to move to the Onkyo SR600 instead. I have no experience with Yamaha but I think at this price point, depending on your peripheral equipment, you're not going to find a big difference in any direction. The Pioneer model seems to work fine and has plenty of power for my small room (13.5 x 12.5 x 8).

cheers,

--tom

StevenK

Second Unit
From the specs, they look pretty much identical...so you're going to have to go on whichever sounds better to YOU. I chose the Yamaha because of the Yammies reliability and build quality reputation. I haven't heard the Pioneer, but the Yammie sounded warm but but not as smooth as the H/K 520 (in terms of music).

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
Alright everyone thanks for all the help. Im going to get the Yamaha i made my choice. Right now my speakers are yamaha but those will probably replaced soon, but i have had good luck with yamaha.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
You won't be sorry; I switched from Pioneer to Yamaha a few years ago and never looked back, big change in performance. :emoji_thumbsup:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Im going to get the Yamaha i made my choice.
One of our other forum members was able to get J&R to match the price of one of the stores at Yahoo on the Yammy 5560. The price came out to $330 + $28 s/h = $358. Not bad considering Best Buy wants $499 for the 5560 - - oh, but I forgot, BB will also give you a "free" set of KLH speakers.

StevenK

Second Unit
the forum member is me :)
Actually, i want to warn you about the Yammie. No DTS-ES Discrete! I just found that out today. In fact, no Yammie below the RX-V1200 does DTS-ES Discrete...only DTS-ES Matrixed. DAMN!!!!
So now, you have to decide whether or not the 4 or so movies with DTS-ES Discrete (yes, I know there are a total of 15 right now, but only 4 worth watching ;) ) worth giving up for the supposed reliability and build quality of the Yamaha. I'm not going to comment about the sound quality, because that's highly subjective and phrases like "it widens the soundstage..." aren't really that helpful, IMO. (flame suit on)
The fact of the matter is the Pioneer has a better feature set and a lower price ($300 most places online) while the Yamaha has a better reputation in terms of quality.
I have just placed an order for the Pioneer from an eBay guy for $292 plus shipping and I have the Yamaha arriving in a few days (the auction is still going...I just e-mailed the guy and got it separately...he has a lot of 10). I can give a much better comparison if you haven't decided by then. In fact, I'll be able to compare the two with my recently eBayed Harman Kardon 520, my bedroom backup Onkyo 676, and my office worker's Sony DE1075 (driving Bose bookshelfs). If you can wait, maybe that'll help you decide.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
worth giving up for the supposed reliability and build quality of the Yamaha. I'm not going to comment about the sound quality, because that's highly subjective and phrases like "it widens the soundstage..." aren't really that helpful, IMO. (flame suit on)
smiley_flame.gif

Well, the build quality I can definitely speak up for regarding the Yamaha. Does not have the flimsy feel my Pioneer had (10 lbs. heavier) Both were budget models

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
And on the subject of quality, I've owned a budget stereo Pioneer receiver ($200 back in 1990-91) for 11 years and it continues to work fine. One really has to also wonder just how long you'll be keeping this before turning it over for a new one. For example, if you knew the Yamaha would last on average for 10 years and the Pioneer would last 6 years, would that make a difference if you'll just be upgrading in 4 years? It may matter to whomever buys your old one, I guess :) I think what it comes down to is whichever one has the feature set/connections you require plus one that sounds the best in your setup. Quality is also something to take into account but it's going to always be sort of a crapshoot at the same price point, in my opinion. I picked up the pioneer VSX-D811S but am also thinking of picking up the Onkyo SR600 and doing a direct comparison and returning whichever one loses. The Onkyo has a few features that I'd like to have (such as a Direct Stereo no-subwoofer option for 2 channel music listening).
Steve, I'd be interested in any comparisons you do. I bought the Pioneer a week and half ago from best Buy and still have 3 weeks or so in my return window.
cheers,
--tom

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
The Pioneer's just don't die in 4 years or so, I have a VSX9300s that is now on 13 years of hard use and doing great powering my two 15" subs. They are not built any worse quality than any Yamaha. But with that having been said you must look at the features and the amp sections of each. As a rule of thumb the weight of the unit will tell a story. And then listen to both and see which sounds best to you. I have not listened to either but I wanted to expel the Pioneer will go bad thiery!

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks