Pioneer VSX-D811s or Yamaha 5560?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Himanshu_S, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

I'm planning to buy the reciever but I can't decide which one I should get. I'm planning to hook it up to ND310(main) and SCS135(for surround). They both have all of the new features except Yamaha has matrix 6.1 and pioneer has discrete 6.1. Also yamaha is 75wx6 while pioneer is 100wx6. Pioneer has 7.1 inputs while the yamaha has 6.1 or 5.1.

I don't know how the THD is rated for each one and how important it is to consider in deciding these for the speakers I'm going to get. I think the THD for yamaha is less than pioneer but is it really important to take that into account?

Yamaha is rated at .06%

and pioneer says their THD is less than 0.2%??

How is this helpful?? is pioneer trying to cover up their large THD by saying it's less than .2%?

Thanks for reply

2. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

The THD rating is totally irrelevant in the world of Japanese specsmanship. I would ignore it.

The power ratings are also largely fiction. Figure that the Pioneer may deliver an honest 75 to 80 watts per channel. I don't know if the Yamaha will really do 75 watts per channel or not. Probably not.

I have the Pioneer 810. The reason that I chose it over the Yamaha or any other receiver in that price range is that it has a full set of preamp outputs. To me, that is a hugely important feature because I can bypass the built-in amps and drive the system with real power amplifiers. Even if you don't plan to do that right away, it is an option that you should strongly consider down the road since the Achilles heel of all of these inexpensive receivers is their wimpy power amps.

I did run the Pioneer's amplifiers for a while just to hear how they sound. I had the system configured with five matching B&W bookshelf speakers all set to the proper SMALL setting with a 100 Hz crossover to a relatively capable subwoofer.

The system sounded quite pleasant actually. The amps in the Pioneer sound about like you would expect cheap Japanese amps to sound -- somewhat mellow and laid back when pushed hard due to the lack of current capability. But, it played reasonably loud and performed OK.

The implementation of the surround sound features on the Pioneer is OK. There are a few advanced Dolby features I would like to have, but there's enough to do what you need to do and it's fairly logical to operate -- as logical as any of these receivers can be. The remote is great -- I use it for the entire system. The DSP modes are a freak show, but you can tame them down enough to use them on something like a bad mono TV broadcast. The Dolby calibration test tones are right on the money.

For under $400 with full preamp outputs, I think the Pioneer is quite a nice product and very high value.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

4. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure the Yamaha is an excellent product as well. They have always built a good receiver product.
    I wouldn't recommend one over the other really. I was just sharing my experience with the Pioneer.
    The Yamaha does have pre-outs for all channels, so that's a wash regarding an important feature.
    Power ratings: neither one of them gives the HONEST power rating, which would be XX watts per channel into 8 ohms, from 20-20kHz, with XXX THD, ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN
    Both give an FTC rating, but only for a single PAIR of channels. I believe that the Pioneer will do its rated 100 watts into a pair of channels. Likewise, the Yamaha will do its rated 75 watts into a pair of channels. The problem is that neither of them will do their rated power driving all six channels at once. No big deal. Just figure about 20% less than the rated power -- probably 80 watts per channel for the Pioneer and 60 watts per channel for the Yamaha.
    Neither one of them will like driving speakers as well as they drive load resistors on the test bench, but what do you expect from a $400 box? Gotta go with separate power amps to get that kind of performance.
    The Yamaha could be a better amplifier than the Pioneer. Even the honest power specs don't mean that much to me. You'd have to hook them up side by side in the same system and know what to listen for to really tell about the amplifiers.
    Either one would be a good choice for the money.