Pioneer VSX-D811S as pre/pro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris A H, May 28, 2002.

1. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

Anyone using the Pioneer VSX-D811S as a pre/pro with an outboard amplifier?

Just bought a Parasound 855 amp from Ubid ($309!) and want to get some of he latest surround formats without spending a lot. The 811S seems to have the best features & formats with pre-outs for the price.

Thanks.

Chris

2. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

I'm using it as a semi-pre/pro with a SN 9080. I'm running my fronts, bi-amped, off of the Newcastle and using the Pioneer to power the rears.

So far so good. Has all the features I was looking for and music isn't half bad. DTS-ES Discrete is amazing! Too bad they don't release more DVDs in this format. BTW, my new gripe on this otherwise fine receiver is the low number of S-Video inputs. But that's only cause I have an old TV right now and only have one S-Video on that TV. Most people won't encounter the same problem.

3. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Steven.

Was there a big difference in sound between the 811S front amps and the Newcastle amps?

4. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Well, I'm certainly don't have golden ears and I didn't do a critical listening session, so I have to say "I don't know." I also in the camp that thinks "a good $500 amp is a good $5000 amp"...meaning if it ain't broke and does it's job, then the two will sound the same. I think in my setup, the speakers are more crucial to the sound than the amp. I went with the 9080 amp because I wanted the headroom that the 811S or most other receivers anywhere near this price could produce.