What's new

Pioneer VSX-D811S as pre/pro? (1 Viewer)

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone using the Pioneer VSX-D811S as a pre/pro with an outboard amplifier?

Just bought a Parasound 855 amp from Ubid ($309!) and want to get some of he latest surround formats without spending a lot. The 811S seems to have the best features & formats with pre-outs for the price.

Thanks.

Chris

StevenK

Second Unit
I'm using it as a semi-pre/pro with a SN 9080. I'm running my fronts, bi-amped, off of the Newcastle and using the Pioneer to power the rears.

So far so good. Has all the features I was looking for and music isn't half bad. DTS-ES Discrete is amazing! Too bad they don't release more DVDs in this format. BTW, my new gripe on this otherwise fine receiver is the low number of S-Video inputs. But that's only cause I have an old TV right now and only have one S-Video on that TV. Most people won't encounter the same problem.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steven.

Was there a big difference in sound between the 811S front amps and the Newcastle amps?

StevenK

Second Unit
Well, I'm certainly don't have golden ears and I didn't do a critical listening session, so I have to say "I don't know." I also in the camp that thinks "a good $500 amp is a good $5000 amp"...meaning if it ain't broke and does it's job, then the two will sound the same. I think in my setup, the speakers are more crucial to the sound than the amp. I went with the 9080 amp because I wanted the headroom that the 811S or most other receivers anywhere near this price could produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks