What's new

pioneer vsx-d810s vs. sony str-de445 (1 Viewer)

Steve Adams

Second Unit
i have a sony str-de 445. im looking to upgrade. I can get a pioneer vsx-d810s for 350.00 tax in. cdn dollars. think it's worth my money to do this. i like the fact that I can hook up an external amp. i have an old nikko alpha 220 amp that would run the mains nicely for my set up. what is everyone's thoughts.

The VSX-D810S is outdated, the new one VSX-D811S is almost the same (with a new display and some less features). I've a VSX-D810S for almost 1.5 years and I really love this recv, it sounds great for movies and good for music.

You can see my HT equipmente here: ij.web1000.com
(sorry the page in only in spanish...)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
a VSX-D810S would be a good snag at $350 cnd, which is somewhere around $175 US if i'm not mistaken. It does lack DPLII and NEO6, but does have 6-D theater, which i prefer to the DPLII on the D811S, but is not quite as good as NEO:6. Contrary to what some think Dolby Digital EX IS supported by the 810, but Pioneer wasn't able to get licensing in time for it's release, so it's not an advertised feature. For DD-EX, you just engage 6-D theater (which i left on all the time when i had my 810) and EX tracks are played perfectly. The 810 also lacks outputs for 2 rear surround speakers, but if you want a 7.1 speaker setup instead of just 6.1, you can simply wire the 2 back speakers in series (that's what happens w/ 7.1 on the 811, it's just done internally). Like i said before, the 810 would be a solid deal and hard to beat at that price.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
That's what I thought too, I love it, it has some balls too. is there a way to go surround with stereo recording with the pioneer? if so, im going to put it on layaway! it's an awsome receiver for the price.....

Users who are viewing this thread