Pioneer VSX-D712K/RCA STAV-4090

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rory Buszka, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

My friend is looking for a good 5.1 reciever at or under $250. While poking around on Crutchfield, he and I found the Pioneer VSX-D712K reviever for $250. Well, as you know, Radio Shack sells some rebranded Pioneer stuff as RCA and we believe we've found the same reciever in the RCA STAV-4090 for $50 less. The question is whether this reciever would be better than a Sony model he's considering, the STR-DE595. One major difference I see is that the RCA/Pioneer model features binding post terminals on the back instead of spring clip terminals, and I think that makes a big difference when it comes time to hook up speakers.

So, it it better to go for the Sony or the Pioneer/RCA?

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Buy the Pioneer/RCA (and not just because it has better terminals).

LJ

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Repeat after me:

"I will not buy the *DE* series of Sony receivers"

Actually, there are a number of reasons for not buying the *DE* series from Sony. Go for the Pioneer/RCA as suggested. Also, you might want to check some of the vendors out under Yahoo shopping. A few have the Pioneer receiver for $183 -- but, please do check their shipping rates before purchasing. You can check the rate by clicking the "buy" option and filling out your address information to determine shipping. Some of the Yahoo vendors charge mucho money for shipping - so be careful.

Enjoy !!

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Actually, while my friend was pondering the purchase a little longer, we made a run over to the Ovation store across the street and found a Yamaha HTR-5550 (a $400 reciever) for $200 on sale. It is quite nice with 70 watts per channel. It drove a pair of Definitive Tech StudioMonitor 350s to fill a listening studio room that was twice the size of my friend's dorm room. Thanks anyway for all your suggestions, but now that we happened upon this great deal, my friend has more reciever power and rear inpts than he'll ever want or need. One question: The speakers he is using (a pair of Pioneer 3-ways from the early 80's) are nominally 6 ohms. The reciever has a switch that can be set to run low impedance loads (4-ohm mains, 6-ohm center and rears). Should we set the switch to the low-impedance setting? What would change inside the reciever if we do this? Will it put out more heat or limit the overall volume?