Pioneer VSX-D711 has AMP ERR problem, worth fixing?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mathhew+M, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Mathhew+M

Mathhew+M Auditioning

I have a Pioneer VSX-D711 reciever that is only a few years old, but out of warranty. Just the other day it started displaying an "AMP ERR" message when I turn it on. After the message displays for a few seconds the unit turns off. I have noticed some funny behavior with the volume knob being a little twitchy in the past few months, not sure if they are connected.

I have no idea what the problem is, and I can't find any help or troubleshooting for this error online. Is it something I can fix myself? Is it even worth taking it to a shop, or should I just buy something newer?

This was my first Pioneer piece of equipment, I always bought Sony and Tohsiba in the past, never had problems with them. I don't think I'll be buying Pioneer again... [​IMG]

2. Mathhew+M

Mathhew+M Auditioning

I have a Pioneer VSX-D711 reciever that is only a few years old, but out of warranty. Just the other day it started displaying an "AMP ERR" message when I turn it on. After the message displays for a few seconds the unit turns off. I have noticed some funny behavior with the volume knob being a little twitchy in the past few months, not sure if they are connected.

I have no idea what the problem is, and I can't find any help or troubleshooting for this error online. Is it something I can fix myself? Is it even worth taking it to a shop, or should I just buy something newer?

This was my first Pioneer piece of equipment, I always bought Sony and Tohsiba in the past, never had problems with them. I don't think I'll be buying Pioneer again... [​IMG]

3. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

Sadly people tend to decide not to buy products from a certain manufacturer anymore based solely on a relative fluke instead of a trend that's widespread.

You can spend the money to try and get it fixed if you want. However, it'll likely cost as much or more than an updated replacement.

4. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

Sadly people tend to decide not to buy products from a certain manufacturer anymore based solely on a relative fluke instead of a trend that's widespread.

You can spend the money to try and get it fixed if you want. However, it'll likely cost as much or more than an updated replacement.

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Just because a piece of equipment has a problem doesn't mean you should not buy from them again. Any Receiver can break down on you due to some type of problem.
    I agree with Greg in that it will probably cost you more to get it fixed then what it is worth so it depends on if you want to spend more money on a new one or try and get this one fixed.
    Or you can look at it as an excuse to get a new one........[​IMG]

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Just because a piece of equipment has a problem doesn't mean you should not buy from them again. Any Receiver can break down on you due to some type of problem.
    I agree with Greg in that it will probably cost you more to get it fixed then what it is worth so it depends on if you want to spend more money on a new one or try and get this one fixed.
    Or you can look at it as an excuse to get a new one........[​IMG]

7. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Try disconnecting all speaker wires and powering it back up. You could have a bad speaker or wire! If it powers up ok try hooking one speaker at a time and when it shuts down you will know what speaker/channel is causing the problem.

Wes

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Try disconnecting all speaker wires and powering it back up. You could have a bad speaker or wire! If it powers up ok try hooking one speaker at a time and when it shuts down you will know what speaker/channel is causing the problem.

Wes

9. Mathhew+M

Mathhew+M Auditioning

I tried that a few days ago, even with everything disconnected the reciever behaves the same way. I took the cover off and powered it up, it seems like when it powers up the transformer and switches the amp on, that's when it gives the error and shuts down. Maybe the transformer isn't powering up properly?

In any case, it looks like a direct replacement with Pioneer's latest version of this model will cost about $200. With labor and parts I can't see getting this one fixed being much less than that, if at all. It's a shame there isn't a cheaper way to fix these, what a waste.

10. Mathhew+M

Mathhew+M Auditioning

I tried that a few days ago, even with everything disconnected the reciever behaves the same way. I took the cover off and powered it up, it seems like when it powers up the transformer and switches the amp on, that's when it gives the error and shuts down. Maybe the transformer isn't powering up properly?

In any case, it looks like a direct replacement with Pioneer's latest version of this model will cost about $200. With labor and parts I can't see getting this one fixed being much less than that, if at all. It's a shame there isn't a cheaper way to fix these, what a waste.

11. rolfyboy

rolfyboy Auditioning

I had this exact same problem, it can indicate that there is an impedance mis-match somewhere. i.e. using 4 or 6 ohm speakers instead of 8. However if you unplug the speakers and it is still doing it then you could have a problem with the actual amp circuit.

Mine was doing it with nothing plugged in and had dry solder joints on the circuit board with the two large output devices are. Simply resoldered those and it is fine now.

It had started crackling before it stopped working all together, which would also indicate the start of dry joints or bad connections somewhere.

Regards,

Rolf.