Pioneer VSX D411 or Sheerwood 6108...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Nevala, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Matt Nevala

Matt Nevala Stunt Coordinator

Dec 12, 2002
    Im leaning towards the Pioneer, because i do use my HT for more music then movies i must say and its cd THD rating is lower and the frequency range is 20-20,000. But i do like the sleep timer on the Sheerwood and some of the other features. The reason im getting this is because my reciever now doesnt have a bass managment frequency adjustment and i want Pro logic 2. what do you guys/gurls think? or if you dont like either u can suggest a $200 or less reciever.

I found the prices about the same so price isnt a issue.

-edit- I also found this Panisonic for about the same price-

And this JVC lol
  2. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Jul 28, 2002
    I like the Sherwood 6108. I owned it not too long ago. I recently bought 2 HKs. I love them both.

As I type this there is a Harman Kardon
    AVR 120-Z
    Audio/Video Receiver With Dolby® Digital, DTS®,
    Factory Remanufactured

Harmon Kardon sells Factory Remanufactured gear with a full 2 year warrenty. Those are 'Z' models.

save some chips on some goood gear.
  3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Jan 31, 2002
    My local Fry's puts the 6108 on sale for $89-$99 every month or so. Great reciever for the price.
  4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Mar 12, 2002
    I'd recommend the Sherwood (mainly because it's my bedroom AVR, and second having owned previous Pioneer AVRs) because of the clean sound for the price and can every now and then be picked up at Circuit City for about $129 plus tax. The negatives: proprietary/non-learning remote (controls only sherwood products), spring-clips, no pre-outs except for sub (unlike the website and the pdf manual claiming pre-outs for all channels), no S-Video switching, 3 video inputs with one being on the front (of course buying a switcher solves this), and no 5-channel stereo mode.

Take this also with a grain of salt as I also haven't heard the Pioneer but the other thing I never liked about the non-elites were that the x-over setup was at 200/150/100 and not something lower (the sherwood is at 80hz which is great for most of the larger bookshelves and larger speakers). In addition every Pioneer AVR I've owned in the past (455, 457, and 606S) seemed to have a midbass hump when the center was set small either that or the speakers I matched it too had a x-over interaction at that point (I've used the following for center channels: optimus lx5/8/cs5/x77/mission 77c/nht superzeroes) and a weak sub pre-out as well.