Pioneer VSX-9900

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by davidMac, Jan 10, 2006.

1. davidMac

davidMac Auditioning

I've aquired this receiver, it is in good shape but I have no idea of the value, quality, or if it current enough for home theater. Does anyone know if this would be good for both a home theater and music listening. I'm looking to spend about $500.00 on speakers.
    Should I use this or update to a more current receiver?

Thanks!

2. John S

John S Producer

This AVR looks to be a nice piece. Dolby Digital decoder. Probably better than many many AVR's out there.

You need a sub and 5 speakers for $500???

Get 3 pair of JBL E30's and do a search on Parts express and get at least one if not two of their budget 12" powered subs. That system would be very impressive.

3. davidMac

davidMac Auditioning

Glad to hear this AVR is still up there. For my speakers the catch is I have a $500.00 gift certificate at ABC Warehouse (equal to Best Buy or Circuit City). I will see what brands they offer and do some research and hope to get some advice from here.
    I have a pair of Ohm C2 that are about 25yrs old and have seen it's better days, and have been wanting a speaker upgrade.

4. John S

John S Producer

I went to their website... Not to much selection on there at all.

The best thing I see are the Polk Rti70's. These are highly regaurded speakers.

If you could get 4 of those for $500, I'd do that and call it good for right now. This will give a respectable representation of 5.1 in a 4.0 config. No sub, but they have great low extension, and if you tell your AVr you have no center channel a phantom center will be created between the two fronts.

Best of luck...

5. davidMac

davidMac Auditioning

Thanks for your help John, I was able to purchase a pair of Polk Monitor 60's and a Polk CS1 center for $500.00 out the door. I liked the Polk line much better vs JBL in the same price range.
    Polk is not usually very flexible on price,the 60's sell for $279.00ea and the CS1 is $179.00, but I made this offer to a few of the ABC outlets and one of them caught me as I was leaving and agreed.
    For now I'm going to use a pair of old NHT 1.3 for the rear and get a Dayton 12" sub from PE that you suggested.
    I like the idea of the Monitor 60's for the music end.
    Do you think this set up should work out OK?
    Thanks again!

6. John S

John S Producer

I like Monitor 60's very much. They will benefit a lot with a subwoofer.

When on the ABC Website, I really got the impression your best bet, was to go to a store, see what they have and make an offer.

You did decent for your money. Should be a very nice system...