What's new

Pioneer VSX-917V HDMI problem (1 Viewer)

El Pajaro

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Hinterlong
Current setup:

Pioneer VSX-917V A/V Receiver (HDMI output to TV, secondary output is YPbPr)
Hitachi 42" P42H401 (HDMI input, secondary input YPbPr video)
Original XBox (connected via YPbPr video & D/O cable)
Wii (connected via YPbPr video & RCA audio)

Component video connection works fine, although no signal is recognized when trying to connect through the HDMI cable. I guess my question is this:

If I have analog components (comp. video from XBox, Wii, etc.), why will my receiver not send video signals through the HDMI output to the television? Do components HAVE to have HDMI output (such as an upconversion DVD or BD) or am I missing something in settings? The XBox is configured to widescreen 1080i (like the TV), and plays fine thru component video. I just purchased this TV yesterday, I'd like it to know where the bottleneck is. I just want HDMI to work :)

P.S. - I do not own any HD components yet, just trying the components I have.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think that receiver does analog>hdmi conversion. So (presuming that is true) hdmi output only comes from hdmi inputs.

El Pajaro

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Hinterlong

Thanks for the quick response. Would the 1017 (model up) feature this kind of analog>hdmi conversion? Anyone else's thoughts are appreciated as well.

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
The above answer is correct and yes 1017 and higher models upconvert. Not to mention you get THX select 2 on the 1017.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just be aware that analog>hdmi conversion on lower end models typically yields poor quality. You still may end up using analog outs for analog sources.

jlefevre

Grip
Real Name
James LeFevre
Just because the receiver does upconversion to HDMI, does not mean it will work until you turn it on. My Yamaha RX-V2700 upconverts all inputs to HDMI, but there is a setting for upconversion enable or disable. You may have to carefully dig through the manula to find it.

As a side not upconverting composite and s-video to HDMI will not work on a VHS deck source when using slow and fast speed, only normal playback. The sync lock on slow, fast, and freeze frame will confuse the upconvert and not produce a watchable picture. If you still have any VHS or SVHS sources, or any other composite or s-vide sources that can do slow or fast speed you shoul consider running a s-vide cable to the video monitor as well as the HDMI cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks