What's new

Pioneer VSX-810S, DTS-ES OK, but DD EX?? (1 Viewer)

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have one of these budget receivers?
The listing is vague. While it has six amps and is "DTS-ES" compatible, does this mean it can decode matrixed Dolby Digital EX? What about DTS 6.1 discrete? Seems in some cases matrixed rear surround channels can be broken out but this isn't always advertised. Just a bit confusing for the consumer here.
Also, can anyone hazard a guess as to wheter the component switching would be able to handle switching duties for high-bandwidth HD or progressive scan component video from DVD??
I'm looking to set up a budget system and the DD EX and HD switching are key. The system can get by without DPL II.
Here's the link, can't seem to find a manual, and really trust the collective wisdom here more anyway.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...2,2078,00.html
What $450-$550ish receiver DOES do what the Pioneer doesn't (if it doesn't).
Thanks in advance for any reports from the trenches.
Ron

Han

Second Unit
Ron, I'd say a lot of people are also feeling hesitant about that 810s from the "shady" specs. That's why maybe there hasn't been too many reports on this receiver.
I was almost going to pull the trigger when I was at Circuit City looking for something as a cheap temporary preamp until the Parasounds come out. I was also looking at the more expensive Onkyo TX-DS696, Kenwood 510, and Harman Kardon AVR210. Then I was like, "What am I thinking, this is Circuit City. I still have a lifetime DIVX grudge against them :). Plus, I'm not going to pay MSRP for something that'll be only temporary." Decided to take my chances with UBid on an HK AVR310 for much less.
Anyway, I'm going way off topic here... I'd say the ES compatibility thing may work as you'd hope, but at this low a price, I don't think HD level component switching is in the cards.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
The new Onkyos don't have EX/ES....just DPLII.
Otherwise, I'd already have one...
wink.gif

------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks