Pioneer VSX-810S and Polk Audio Monitor 5's

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by bigpete1984, Jul 29, 2006.

1. bigpete1984

bigpete1984 Auditioning

Hi, im new to the whole idea of home audio. I have a pretty good understanding of the equipment that i would like to eventually have and of what i got. But, i dont know a whole lot about wiring, ohms, and feedback. I have the Polk Audio speakers hooked up the Pioneer receiver and for some reason the speakers are crackling and popping at any level of volume. The only thing that i can think of, is that the speaker wire is getting interference from somewhere. I just bought some banana clips and hope that this might help to get a better connection. I also bought some nice audio cables to hook up from the DVD player(Pioneer DV-414) which i thought would also help. But i dont really know whats going and would really like some suggestions. Also, the speakers sound really good when they work and they work sometimes. So someone please help. Thanks for the help in advance.

Pete

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

My Monitor 5s are 4ohm speakers. . .What you describe sounds like your receiver does not like 4ohm speakers. . .Try running them 'small' and see if it helps. . .

I also use vintage Polk Monitor 10 front 7 rear and center with 5s as rear surrounds. I love the energy and so far (knock wood) have had no trouble. My receivers are higher on the food chain but I remember one budget receiver that would pop crackle and shut down the receiver. . .Those were Paridigm Monitor 7 speakers hooked to an entry level JVC ProLogic receiver that did not like anything but 8ohm or higher speakers.