Pioneer VSX-45TX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by GregHC, Mar 26, 2004.

1. GregHC

GregHC Agent

I was at my local home theater store and came across a new 45tx for 475$.
    Is this a decent price for a discontinued unit?
    I was wondering if anyone has any reviews on it?

I know it has only 1 Component in and out, Will I be doing myself a disfavor by limiting myself with such few connections.

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Actually, it has 2 component ins and 1 out. You would be committed to the local insane asylum for passing on that receiver for that price. It is a stud!

3. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Run - do not walk - RUN(!!!) back to that store. Now!

Unless you've already decided on kicka$$ separates (and this whole thread wouldn't even exist then, would it?) or you'd prefer to spend $2500-$3500 on a different receiver, that is a wonderful price for a very, very decent piece of gear. Discontinued isn't much of an issue, lack of an "I" isn't an issue, and it has plenty of features (including multiple component INs), it has MACCC, enough power, whatever.

If you're looking for reviews check ECoustics, AudioReview, etc. to see a universally highly regarded unit. Then get running - now!

And if you can't decide that you really want that 45TX, please just go pick one up for me - I'll figure out what to do with it. :wink:

4. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

I have the Pioneer VSX-47TX which I really enjoy. Considering that the 45TX is really in the same brethren, I can vouch that it would be a great pick-up for that price. New too! The sound quality the Elites put out is clean, warm and detailed. I had the 43TX before and was really impressed with it. They have flexibilities galore with renaming inputs, hi-bit sampling, digital noise reduction, midnight mode etc. I concur with the others that you should really think hard about this or to simply put it as to not pass it up.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've had one for 15 months and love it. It has 2 component ins, one out, btw.

The MCACC self-calibration feature is just now showing up on other makes, and is incredibly accurate. Not only does it set speaker levels and distances, it also does a 5 band graphic equalization for each individual speaker. this latter is really neat if you're stuck with less than perfect room acoustics and speaker location.

It has gobs of power, a very clean sound, lots of versatility. The remote looks intimidating at first but is very versatile and easy to use in practice.

These had an msrp of $1400, typically sold at non-authorized webtailers for $850.

As others have said, do not walk--hop in your car and race back to the store, only delay long enough to phone them to hold one for you.

6. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I also vouch for the Pioneer.........Wonderful unit.

Ilove mine. My local store has a demo 47TX for $995.

Do you guys think that's a good deal?

Sports car will get you there quicker!

Mike[​IMG]

7. GregHC

GregHC Agent

Ok,
    I'll go first thing in the morning. I should have gone after work, but I was too lazy.

I was just worried about buying outdated technology, and no one had posted any comments.

Thanks for the input.

8. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

That is an absolute bargin. Snap it up, fast!

9. GregHC

GregHC Agent

Well I picked it up this morning.

Now all I need is speakers, wires, and a bunch of new connection cables....Oh yhea, a new TV, comfy couch, and the list goes on.

I know it's the wrong forum but any ideas.

I'm thinking a 6.1 speaker box set. I can pick up Onkyo, for 275, or jbl or infinity for 450.

10. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

If you have the patience but not the money just grab some decent front speakers for now. It works out cheaper in the long run than multiple upgrades, trust me [​IMG]

Plus if you go for 5.1 speakers at the price you won't be doing justice to the 45tx.

11. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Greg - just so we all make ourselves very clear on this...

You know, you have yourself an absolute gem there. That is a wonderful deal and I guarantee you've made a couple of folks very jealous. Now give that receiver a little respect and get a couple of decent front speakers. An HTiB 5.1 really, really won't do that thing justice.

OK - if you really want 5.1 right now (and we all understand that) jump over to the HW for Sale/Trade forum and try to snag the HSU Ventriloquists. I think they were $249 asking price. That would leave you with the opportunity to get a subwoofer (Dayton 10" is on sale @ Parts Express this weekend). I'd still agree you'd probably be better off in the long run (and now, too) with the best pair of front speakers you can afford. But that is one heck of a 5.1 (or 6.1 or 7.1) receiver and you could use the Ventriloquists (or whatever) in the den later on when upgrade-itis eventually hits. And trust Daneel & everyone else - you will want to upgrade.

Enjoy that thing! You done really good this time.

12. GregHC

GregHC Agent

Well I'm glad I read this before going to CC or BB to pick some up.

Since My next purchase will be speakers I'll move it over there. But since I may wait I'll ask this. I have a set of Sony Speakers now. They are self powered SA-VA15's. Would it be ok to use run a rca line from the receiver to those?

I know they probably wouldn't do it justice, but I don't want to blow either of them up. I've run CD players in them, and a cable box, Just never a receiver.

13. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

GregHC if you run the preouts of the 45tx to those Sonys that should work fine.

MikeRP, what's going on man? Still got your 45tx and considering a 47tx? Get the outboard amp! Much better use of your cash than going 45tx to 47tx IMO.

14. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Daneel:

You are exactly on......... Thanks for reminding me.

I just listened to my 45 and it is still fabulous.

I will spend the extra cash eventually on a 5 or 7 channel amp.

Brain fart - Idea is dead.[​IMG]

I'm personnaly gonna kick my butt to bed.

You got a great recevier Greg for a great price.

Live with it to get to know it - its really wonderful.

Don't go too cheap on the speakers.........Speakers are a purchase you don't want to have to upgrade soon .

Buy them instages if needed.

Good Luck!

Mike

15. GregHC

GregHC Agent

I will defenitely heed your advice.

I went to BB and CC just to hear what they sounded like. Wow what a difference. I never thought of myself as someone with an ear for music, But it was pretty amazing how much better a good set of 2 speakers sonded than the set I was looking into. Thanks for saving me 500+ bucks. Because I kown I would have been kicking myself once I got them home.