Pioneer VSX-45TX Elite....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chiappini, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Paul Chiappini

Paul Chiappini Stunt Coordinator

I was out shopping today and spotted the Pioneer VSX-45TX. I recently sold the Onkyo 898 and am in the market for a new receiver. Was thinking of getting the upcoming Onkyo 900, but the 45TX seems to have everything I want.

Does anyone own this unit? What do you think of the sound quality? Do you have any meaningful dislikes or likes?

Thanks.

2. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

JUST GOT IT AND ITS GREAT. I WAS GOING TO WAIT ON THE HK 525 OR THE NEW ONKYO 800. I'VE HAD IT FOR 2 DAYS AND I'M EXTREMELY IMPRESSED. I PREVIOUSLY TRIED THE ONKYO 595 AND THE HK520. GOT UPGRADITUS - SURE GLAD I DID.

THE REMOTE IS GREAT AND THE SOUND IS EXCELLENT. I USED THE AUTO SET - ITS GREAT. BUT - I REALLY HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO EXPLORE THE REST OF THE FEATURES.

NO BAD FEATURES YET. SEEMS LIKE A SOLID UNIT. ONLY THING IT DOESN'T HAVE IS LOGIC 7. THAT IS HK'S BIG ADVANTAGE I THINK.

MIKE

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I use one as a pre/pro and I have been impressed with its performance. IMO, its one of the best receivers in the $1000 price range after doing alot of comparing with the other major Japanese brands.

The set-up is easy and I like the MCACC with the built-in equalizer. It certainly helps in my room.

I can't comment on the internal amplification, but used as a pre it does lean a bit towards the bright side, so if you like a warmer tone you might look elsewhere.

Overall, it's a very good unit for the money with all the latest decoding formats, good processing power, a clean analog path for SACD & DVD-A, and decent stereo performance.

It only has four digital inputs though(two coaxial and two optical)which might be a problem for some.

DJ

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I just demo'd the 43TX, which is essentially the same minus the better remote and the automaitc calibration. I A/B/Cd it against the Denon 3802 and the Pioneer 41 (for comparison, since i own an 811S). I blew the 41 away and sounded marginaly better than the 3802. The front soundstage was much wider and more descrete than the 41, probably due to discrete amps compared to the distributed monoblock of the 41. It also had much less problems at very high volume compared to the 41. Compared to the 3802, it sounded a bit tighter and, again, seemed to work a little easier at higher volumes. All comparrisons were done at HiFiBuys w/ Klipsch Synergy Fronts/center and Reference Backs. I demod Sections of Phantom Menace, Gladiator, and some excerpts from a few demo discs. I'm considering the 43TX as a future (6 months or so) upgrade, but would probably purchase online and use my credit card companies waranty matching if i had any problems. $750 online beats $1000 retail even if i have to fight for the waranty.

5. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Ok Guys:

Here's my latest opinion on the 45. I have tested it with a couple of movies and my reference CD's.

Power Drop Off: On the HK 520 and Onkyo 595 when I switched to 5 channel stereo or DPL2 I had a noticable drop off in volume. Not so with the 45. I have to turn the volume down. There is plenty of reserve power and it sounds very good.

Soundfield: One noticable difference. I have a weak center channel (bose am-10)(not for long). The 595 sounded really muddled in the center channel - just figured it was Bose which it probably is to a certain degree. The HK 520 improved this but it was still there. The Pioneer removed this. The center channel is the best I've ever heard it.

I am extremely impressed with the autosetup - it is great.

I watched Harry Potter with my son last night. It says DD-EX 5.1 on the surround selection. I watched my reference LOTR. The processing is excellent but so was the HK. I did think the processing might be a little more discrete than the HK. But I don't put too much stock in that last comment. You'd about have to listen to the receivers side by side.

So far I think this receiver will be a great competitor to the new 525 and the Denon 3803 and the Onkyo 900. But, I think I'll miss logic 7.

It is certainly not an 8000. But its probably not too far behind.

Any comments?

Mike

6. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I'm glad to see a new class of people enjoying the MCACC feature. It really is all of what it's cracked up to be and then some.

Daniel Smith

7. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

which one do you have Daniel?

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

9. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I have the 49tx.

Daniel Smith

10. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

11. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

does the 43tx and the 41tx have full 7.1 preouts AND adjustable crossover points? I'd particularily like to get the info on the crossover points. I know the 47tx and 49tx have this feature, then again considering the price of these two, they should/do have these features and then some. Anyone? Best online price?

12. Matt AR

Matt AR Agent

Does the MCACC between the 45tx and the 49txi differ in any way?

13. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I'm assuming build quality will be better, 47 and 49tx have chimney heatsinks which dissapate heat better, they also have a copper chassis which is better at isolating the individual parts from each other so they don't interfer with each other, The 47tx has an an Analog Devices processor on top of the Motorola where the 45tx has dual Motorola processors. The 47tx also is THX ULTRA2 cert which means additional processing such as THX MusicMode, ULTRA2, Boudary gain compensation for your sub, and Advanced Speaker Array (ASA) for your back surround channels. Now the 45tx has a USB port in the back and I haven't found out what it's for yet, I heard a lot of cool speculation though. It also converts a digital audio to a 96/24 signal, but I think that's just hyped upsampling not sure whether it will make an actual difference. Also so the 45tx has a 12v trigger, these are all things that neither the 47 or 49tx have. So it will be a better buy to get the 45tx over 47tx if those features don't that are specific to the 47tx don't interest you.

14. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Since the 811s has adjustable crossover points it's safe to say that the 41(elite version of 811s) and 43tx it as well. Yes there is a difference between MCACC the 49tx has the advanced version where you get 9 bands of eq instead of 5, also you can adjust the eq whenever you want for all seven channels. I find this to be a great benefit over the regular MCACC.

Daniel Smith

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, I'd be interested in how the 45 does crossovers too. Different settings for different speakers? Range, increments?

Since it doesn't have THX Ultra2, does it have any other mode to expand stereo and 5.1 DD/DTS sources to 6.1/7.1?

16. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

It should have THX-EX, DD-EX, DTS-ES matrix, DTS Neo:6 for stereo(better than DPL II make a 6.0 soundtrack instead of 5.0), and it may or may not have Studio Extension (SX) or Technical Extension (TX), I think you'll have at least have SX which is DD-EX it makes a rear center channel from the surrounds. TX is like ULTRA2 and makes ambient effect instead of directional effects from the surrrounds. So SX makes a rear center and TX provides ambient sounds to widen the soundfield. Neither of these come with RE-EQ applied. Unfortunately, crossover settings for different speakers can't be done with the Pioneers but with 49tx you can choose the crossover point to be 50Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 150Hz, or 200Hz. But now that I think about it I don't want my sub to play anything higher than 80Hz because than the sound becomes directional, so I don't now I'd want to set them by speaker, but it would be cool to have that option so I guess I'd be cool to have just in case. Whenever the manual gets posted on their site it'll tell you everything.

Daniel Smith

17. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Kevin:

I've also answered a bunch of questions on AVSFORUM.COM - check it out.

The 45 has the same crossover points as the 49 and I assume the 47.. It lacks the super high end build quality of the 49 and also lacks the ultimate processing power of the 49. It also doesn't the power output of the 47 and 49.

But, in my price range, based on what's available, I'd say it can compete with anything out there.

Mike

18. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Does anyone know where to get (or have) a picture of the back pannel of the 45?

Thanks, Aaron

19. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

20. IraSWeiss

IraSWeiss Stunt Coordinator

From what I've managed to read on various vendor's sites, the 45TX has one component in and one out. What were they thinking? What good is switching one input? Most AV receivers I've seen have two (or more) component video inputs that are switchable. That's why I'd like to see a photograph or manual's graphic of the rear panel to determine what is happening.

A receiver with only one component video input is fairly useless to me. I guess I'll wait out one more generation for switched DVI/Firewire.