Pioneer VSX-41 v. Marantz SR8000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Ipp, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Michael Ipp

Michael Ipp Stunt Coordinator

Jul 2, 2001
    They are about the same price.The Pioneer is newer with 6.1 where as the Marantz only has the 5.1. Power looks the same on paper.

The Pioneer is a pretty new model, the Marantz has been around and has gotten pretty solid review.

What would you do? Does it all come down to whether you will take advantage of 6.1?

2. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

Aug 14, 2002
    I've never heard the Marantz, so I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to help you in that respect.

Pioneer has a history of blending the top of their standard lineup with the bottom of their Elite lineup. With that in mind, take a close look at the differences between the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 and the Pioneer VSX-D811S from their standard lineup... they are the same receiver!

People that work in the factory have reportedly said that the only difference is that the Elite goes through an extra stage or so of Quality Control, and that’s how they are able to squeeze an extra 10wpc out of it. They also have Re-EQ enabled on the Elite, and a tiny LCD screen on the remote. Those few things, for double the price of the D811S, is defiantly food for thought. Being that these units are roughly the same says more good for the D811S than it does bad for the VSX-41. The D811S has been very highly recognized.

Again, I don’t have any experience with the Marantz, but If the thought of a “VSX-41” for ~$300 sounds like something your interested in, you might want to give the VSX-D811S a look.
  3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Jul 19, 2002
    I don't know a darn thing about the Marantz you mentioned, but i am extremely familiar with the entire Pioneer and Pioneer Elite prodict line, so i hope this helps.

Getting the 41 would not be wise. Not because it's a bad receiver, but simply because it's the SAME receiver as the standard line Pioneer VSX-D811S.

The 41 can be had on for as low as $450 shipped. The 811S can be found on yahoo shopping as low as $300 shipped.

The only differences are 10 watts/channel (probably less than that when truly measured), RE-EQ (pretty much uselesssince most DVDs are alread re-equalized, a small LCD on the remote (i don't see the use), and the gloss black urushi finish (pretty kewl, i must say, but not worth the $150 price difference).

If you plan on going 6.1 or 7.1, go with the 811S, or if you want a high end peice of equipment, the Elite 43TX or 45TX (). Both are 100x7 (the 811S and 41 share 100w for both back surrounds in a 7.1 setup), THX select, have discrete MOSFET amplification, USB for DVD-A or SACD, DTS 96/24, and loads of other fun stuff.

The 43TX can be had for $750 on yahoo shopping, and the 45TX for $900 on yahoo shopping.

The only difference in the 43TX and the 45TX is the 45TX has Automatic MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration), which will automaticly balance the levels for all of the speakers in your setup. The 43TX had Standard MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration). I guess your only decision between the 43TX and the 45TX is weather automatic calibration is worth $150 (probably not, since you can get an SPL meter and use the receivers built in test tones for $35).

I'm currently running the 811S w/ a 7.1 setup and am extremely, extremely happy. I plan to move up to the 43TX in the next nine months, as soon as i scrape together the money, just for all the bells and whistles. Hope this helps, or it may have confused you more, but maybe showed you a few more options