Pioneer VSX-37TX and the DDEX flag

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David L, Apr 10, 2002.

1. David L

David L Agent

Has anyone noticed the DVD's with an EX flag sometimes trip the VSX-37tx into EX or 6.1 mode? My phantom menace DVD does not flag the receiver, yet my Jurassic Park 3 does. What gives? I checked all my settings on the receiver and separate amp. Just worried that something isn't working, that's all. I have been going to manual on this one when dealing with some EX DVD's.
    Thanks,
    David L. [​IMG]

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I've got the same receiver but I haven't encountered the same situation. I generally leave the the receiver in "THX Auto" and let it do the work. Have you tried contacting Pioneer via their website about this? [​IMG]

3. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

There are only several recently released DVDs that have the EX flag. Most EX encoded DVDs, including The Phantom Menace, do not have the EX flag. You must manually select the EX mode on your receiver for DVDs that do not have the EX flag.

4. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

5. David L

David L Agent

Frank, I leave it THX auto and sometimes Standard auto. Look and see if the Phantom Menace trips the EX flag and illuminates the little "S" square between the left and right channel lights on the front panel lit diagram. I have only notice Jurassic Park 3 as the only dvd so far that trips the EX on my receiver. DTS-ES has worked every time and flags the receiver every time, so I won't go there. This is interesting. What other DVD's flag the VSX-37tx? Also, by activating the EX manually, then does your receiver recognize "true" EX, or does the flag need to be present. By the way, Jurassic Park 3 is in DTS-ES as well!

Another little secret.

Thanks for the help guys, I was driving myself nuts and the wife already thinks I'm there!

David L.

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

David,
    I plugged in my Phantom Menace dvd and was not able to duplicate the scenario that you are describing, but I think I know why. I have a Pioneer M-10x 2 channel amp connected to my receiver to power my 2 rear speakers. The "S" is for a Surround Mono Channel (pg. 25 in my manuel).
    I don't own JP3 so I am not able duplicate that either. If it helps page 84 in my manual states: "This product may also engage the THX SURROUND EX mode during playback of 5.1 channel material that is not Dolby Digital EX encoded. In such case the information delivered to the SURROUND BACK channel will be program dependant and may or may not be very pleasing depending on the particular soundtrack and the tastes of the individual listener."
    Let me know if this helps.
    BTW HTTP://www.dolby.com is supposed to have a list of all Dolby Digital EX DVD's