Pioneer VSX-35TX or the HK 320? Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleRoussel, Mar 18, 2002.

1. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

I'm still shopping for a receiver although I'm not even close to being ready to buy yet.. My price range is maximum $800 CDN and I've got a couple deals for different receivers on the horizon. I can get either the Pioneer VSX-35TX or the HK 320 for roughly $800 each. I've also heard alot of good things about Denon, although I don't think they're in my price range. Has anyone had any experiences with these receivers (especially the pioneer, I've heard alot about the HK320) or any opinion on which route I should take? Thanks in advance.

Kyle

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Kyle, I just got the Pioneer 35TX a few weeks ago, and I absolutlely love it so far.

It does DD-EX and DTS-ES matrix very nicely (no amp for rear center channels just like the HK). Because it is THX Select certified it also has THX processing which is a very nice feature in my opinion to remove the harshness of some movie soundtracks.

It also does component video switching for two sources and has a phono input if you still have some records. 7.1 Pre-outs and a 7.1 pre-in for DVD-A/SACD as well as multiroom capability.

Power wise it did a very nice job at driving my set-up of JBL Studio Series speakers. I found the sound was a definite upgrade over the Sony DB receiver I used to use in my main listening area. The built in amps were much more revealing of details that I just did not notice on the Sony. Output was decent though if you have power hungry mains external amps may be a good option for added headroom on the front L/R channels ( I think I may add a couple monoblocks or a 2 channel amp for a better stereo listening experience).

The only downsides I can see with this unit is no DPL2, which I was not impressed with, and it is DTS ES matrix only which is not that big a deal considering the lack of quality ES discrete tracks. Also, you may find some benefit in Logic 7 found in the 320 for 2 channel sources.

I too was looking at the HK 320 and 520 but ultimately I decided pass mainly due to the lack of DD EX on those units and because I feel there is some value to the THX processing found on the 35TX.

I hope this answers some questions. If you have any more feel free to ask.

J

3. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I too agree with Justin and I love mine as well and I have had mine about a month, its also the fifth Pioneer reciever I have own and each one keeps getting better.