Pioneer VSX 26TX Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TedO, Jan 6, 2002.

1. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

After about 2 years of great service, my Pioneer VSX 26tx just quit putting out sound. I called pioneer service and they setup a repair at no charge for parts or labor. My receiver is still in the shop, has been there for 3 weeks. They (the repair shop)say it's a board with a bad solder job and they ordered a new one, but it's back ordered. After looking on AudioReview.com I see many people have had this problem with there 26tx's.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem and if so has it been fixed? I also worry that a year from now it will start acting up again.

Thanks

TedO

P.S. I bought this unit new, NOT a refurbished unit.

2. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I had the same problem, just a few months out of warranty. I sold it as-is to a guy on this board, problems clearly described, and bought a Marantz SR-8200. The local repair shops wanted 4 - 6 weeks just to resolder the three DSP chips on the DSP board. I don't have that kind of patience!
    This is a VERY common thing with the VSX-2x series. When I replaced my 26TX I didn't even consider another Pioneer Elite. [​IMG]
    Good luck!
    Pete

3. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

About a year into my new reciever, I had the same problem. A bad solder job. The Bryn Mawr store where I purchased it (Now Tweeter) took it to their own repair facilities. It took about 5 weeks but I was able to talk to the tech. He tould me that this was a very common problem and that the repair should permenantly take care of it. About 1 year later and still no problem(Knock on wood).

Bill

4. Robert Fellows

Robert Fellows Stunt Coordinator

The 26TX as well as the 36TX had similar problems with a couple of IC's not being soldered very well, on the DSP board, I believe. The board design has been corrected to eliminate this.

My 26TX had this problem and it was fixed by a local repair facility for free in 1 day.

I have no issues with Pioneer for this. In fact, if you go to their web site, there is an acknowledgement of the 36TX problem and their fix and the "effectivity" of the fix.

No other mass marketing company I know of admits to a problem and posts a method to tell if your unit has redesigend parts in it..i.e. Marantz SR-X200 series.