What's new

Pioneer VSX-1016TXV vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV (1 Viewer)

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
About the manufacturers warranty, how important is it really? While I have never purchased a product from a unauthorized seller I have had a few items that i have needed work on and they were being worked for no fewer than 3 months. The most recent problem that I had a couple of years ago, my Onkyo receiver that I purchased along with an extended warranty My receiver sat for months while onkyo and the store that I purchased the extended warranty from debated whose warranty should pay for the repairs. I've grown so disillusioned with the warranty system that I unless the repair cost is outrageous I plan just to pay out of pocket. The only good experience I have ever had with warranty service was when the repair cost of a Pioneer elite that I spent nearly 2000 dollars on was finally deemed to be greater than just replacing the unit all together. Even then however that was after it was being worked on for nearly four months. I maybe wrong in my views here, but after what I spent on that item, I think it's ridiculous to have it in the shop for four out of the ten months that I have owned it.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Now I can understand the price difference. Zone 2 is a pretty nice feature as well as the trigger. However the Bi-amp thing is almost completely bogus. I believe most receivers with discrete amplification do this internally so when not in surround mode some unused power can go to the front speakers. Isn't that why most receivers are rated higher when they are run in stereo mode anyway, aside from the Capacitors.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Let's see here:

Zone2: check.
Bi-amp: check

12 vote trigger: nope (this would be useful for switching on an amplifier)
- IR in/out: check.

Pre-amp outs: check.

Seth, the manual is online, though you will need to register.

Maybe the best thing to do is go to a local dealer and ask what separates the Elite from the 1016.

Jay*Man

Auditioning

If by IR in/out you mean the SR+, then it means you can connect other pioneer devices to this receiver and control one from the other... The best thing I've read is that if you have a Pioneer PDP display, you will be able to get AVR volume, AVR input settings, etc displayed on the display through the SR cable. -I was excited about this, but my Pioneer 4312 from Costco doesn't have the SR+ input - bummer... guess I'll have to upgrade to the 5070 - lol.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

No, I thought the receiver was able to transmit an actual IR signal out from the front panel which may have been useful if you have IR repeaters. My HT is in the basement but I have zone 2 speakers on the main floor and I can control them from upstairs using IR repeaters. Not sure what I could use the receiver to control but I'm sure if it existed, a need could be created :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks