What's new

Pioneer VSX-1016TXV vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
What really is the difference between these two receivers other than Elite or not. They have virtually the same features and power, what gives.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I don't have time to make a thorough comparison, but it looks like the Elite may have more inputs/outputs, Windows Media Audio 9-Pro, and a 2 year warranty among other things. :)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I don't think I would want to pay $200 for not so much extra. The 1016 has plenty of features and inputs IMO.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
etronics has the Elite for $470. A 5 year warranty is $70. So, $140 more than the 1016, with a 5 year warranty rather than a 1 year warranty.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
That could deffinetly make a world of difference as well as Higher quality components. I just noted they looked almost exactly the same and had similar features.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy

etronics has been around for a long time, and so has Phillips warranty service. Do you have any experience, or know anyone who has bought from etronics, bought the Phillips warranty, and then could not get service from Phillips?

etronics would get the sh** kicked out of them if that was the case.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Here's the warranty

and here are etronic's terms

note the following:

Since there seem to be few concrete advantages to buying this particular Elite receiver over its more pedestrian sibling other than the warranty, it's highly relevant. Also, there have been reports on this forum of 1014s dying at young age...

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy

What does any of that have to do with the Philips waranty applying to purchasing the Elite from etronics?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
:confused:
I'm not sure, what, if any relationship exists between Philips and Pioneer.

if you buy a low level pioneer elite from etronics, and buy a extended warranty, you're paying big bucks for a fancy faceplate and a brandname. Maybe there are other, minor differences, such as rs-232 ports, but the point is lost on me.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
And the point is, many people want the Elite product. Seth mentioned that it is not worth $250 to him to jump from the 1016 to the Elite. I pointed out that for $140, he, or anyone else can get the Elite, with a 5 year warranty, instead of the 1 year warranty of the 1016 for $140. Simple as that :)

If there is anything more about this that you would like to discuss please PM me.

Thanks

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Ah, who am I kidding? I have the low end Sony ES SACD player. Is it better than the regular Sony? Who knows?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Thanks for all your input guys, I think what I will likely do is wait for HDMI 1.3 to come out on a comparable receiver. Though I may instead get a processor with a good digital and analog section.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The Elite for $540 with 5 year warranty is an excellent buy. Although, one member had great results with his Denon 2807 using 6 different measurement locations. My question would be, is the Denon worth twice the Elite?

Seth

The Arragon Soundstage is a very highly regarded processor. But you're gonna have to save up for a long time for that. By that time, the 1.3 models will be around... and so it goes, around and around.

Right this minute, the Elite for $540 is a smashing deal.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The Elite for $540 with 5 year warranty is an excellent buy. Although, one member had great results with his Denon 2807 using 6 different measurement locations. My question would be, is the Denon worth twice the Elite?

Depends. Do you want hdmi audio?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD are worth waiting for IMO, I will stick with my stereo rig for now and once technoligy is were I want it to be with HDMI 1.3 then I will make another investment in audio.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Hmm, looks like the VSX-1016TXV is also 2.2 lbs heavier! So much for weight generally equates to better power supply rule or their Elite branding is purely a marketing gimmick... Oh wait, manual says they weigh the same... hmm, they can't seem to get their material to agree on specs...

Basic difference, the Elite has:
- Zone 2 capabilities (multi-room, multi-source)
- 12 vote trigger
- IR in/out (cool, wonder what I could use that to control, need to read up on this!)
- Assignable Surround Back Speaker for Multi-Room, 2nd Zone
or Front Bi-Amp (also cool!)

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks