Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K Monitor Out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve_L, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I am hoping someone familiar with the 1014 can help me out. I am a newbie to the 1014 and to HT in general. Just bought it for X-mas along with a Synergy F-3 Klipsch surround system and a new Sony KDF-42W TV.

I am just getting everything all connected and trying to test it all.

My current issue is with my connectivity between the Comcast Cable box to the 1014 and then to the TV.

I do not seem to be able to get a video signal from the receiver to the TV. I have two video connections from the 1014 to the TV, the first comes from the "Monitor Out" jack (as depicted on page 8 of the less than helpful manual) and I've got this going to my Sony Input Video Input 4. This works and I can get my 1014 System Setup menu to show up on the screen on this. The other Video out, and the one I can't get to work is the Monitor Out that is Component Video Out. (The top set of Component Video Outs with the two below it being assignable.)

I've got these going to my Component Video IN #6 on the back of the Sony, but the Sony just refuses to see the signal.

Page 15 of the manual discusses and has a chart/grid, that talks about the Monitor out, but it is barely comprehensible to my mind. It seems to be saying that you can use different input sources and get component out, but with some exceptions and it leaves out the Optical issue completely.

I don't seem to be able to get Optical out of the Comcast box fed into the Satto go into the TV.

Can anyone help me with this? I guess what I'm concerned about is that I'm not getting the digital audio into the receiver either, or how to I tell.

Also, are various audio formats broadcast with HDTV? I'm wondering if it is anything more than stereo?

Thanks for any and all help!

This forum is a great source for newbies like me.

Thanks in advance!

2. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

What video input do you have going into the 1014? For example, if you have your cable box going into the tv/sat via composite/svideo in your receiver, you need to make sure you have the tv/sat source selected on the 1014 and it should be outputting it via both your svideo and component outputs of the 1014.

For your optical input, (example) if you have your optical output from cable box going into optical input 1 in the 1014, you need to go into the set up menu and under "Input Assign" and then "Digital In" where you set Digital-1 to "TV/Sat" . HDTV uses digital and analog sources. Some shows and movies are broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1.

3. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input, you were right on regarding my first problem. I realized as I was typing in the question that my S-video cables from both the Cable box and also the DVD box weren't wired to the receivers Video inputs.

(I think I have a mental belief that the "digital" outputs should be both audio and video, but they aren't, they are just audio. (Seems like the technology should be beyond that and there should be high speed audio/video signals, but that's not the case, is it?)

I'm trying also to figure out what my audio selection settings should be for the HDTV football broadcast tomorrow? There are all these choices, and I'd like to geta lot of surround sound audio for the effect of being at the game. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, James, your initial suggestion for a fix was right on.

4. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

I've watched quite a few games on HDTV and many of them are in Dolby Digital 5.1, maybe leave it at that. [​IMG]