Pioneer VSX-1014 vs. Yamaha HTR-5790/RX-V1400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Darin J, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Darin J

Darin J Extra

I'd like to hear from anyone who has compared these two receivers. I was planning on getting the Yamaha but now the Pioneer is out and seems to have all the features and same quality sound for less cost. What features does one have vs. the other and how does the sound compare?[​IMG]

2. Darin J

Darin J Extra

Bump. I'm really hoping someone has compared these two and will share their opinions.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Pioneer's MCACC auto setup has 5 band graphic eq, The RXV-1400's YPAO does 7 band parametric.

I used a Pioneer Elite VSX45TX for over a year, the 1014 appears to be pretty much the same receiver at a much lower price.

I also used a Yamaha RXV-1400 for about 3 weeks.

As far as sound quality I'd call them almost equal but a slight advantage to the Yamaha for better clarity. The Pioneer was very much easier to use.

Pioneer came with a very comprehensive manual that appeared to have been written by a native English speaking person or persons who actually knew how to use the receiver. Yamaha's manual had the usual hard to decipher poor translation.

4. Nigel Hooper

Nigel Hooper Stunt Coordinator

I can do a comparison of the 45TX to the 1400. I sold the 45TX and kept the Yamaha.

5. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

That would be awesome Nigel

6. Nigel Hooper

I did about a 5 days of pretty extensive A-B tests between the 1400 and the 45. 80% music 20% HT. I found the 1400 rendered depth, imaging and soundstaging in a more convincing manner. The speakers disappeared as the source of sound while with the 45 I was always aware that the sound was originating from 5 different places. The 45TX sounded more flat and 2 dimensional.
    The Pioneer was warmer but at the expense of hiding detail. The 1400 revealed more but I never felt it to err on the side of brightness rather it seemed to be revealing more of what was on the recording and in a more proper manner. This was strictly my opinion and my taste but it was an easy decision to keep the Yamaha.
    They've come so far in terms of SQ with the 14/2400 series in comparison to their older ones which were very bright.

7. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Interesting Nigel. Is this with your Athena speakers?? What EQ setting do you find sounds best on the Yamaha?

8. Nigel Hooper

Briefly tried them with the Athenas but mostly with a PSB Stratus 5 speaker setup. I always EQ to the front speakers with the 1400.