What's new

pioneer VSX-1014 vs Harman Kardon 235 (1 Viewer)

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
I was actually dead set on getting the HK 235 but then after checking this forum again I can't decide between the pioneer or the HK. Ideally I want to take both receivers home for a test drive but I will be ultimately buying one online for almost the same price (350ish for the hk and 375ish for the pioneer)

Feature wise, the pioneer seems to have the edge but the HK is not that far behind. What I'm more concerned about is dynamic power. I have an entry lvl yamaha right now and it drive my axiom m50 towers well at moderate volumes. But when I crank it up, the sound seems compressed and very bright. Not to mention, after a couple minutes I can sense an eletric burning smell.. So my question is whether the 235 or pioneer has more power. On papter the pioneer does, but HK always seems to have the most honest rating and I know that 50 HK watts per channel is usually more than 100 sony watts per channel.

Tingwe

Stunt Coordinator
The 1014 cranks out 115wx5 channel driven (more than its stated output fo 110?). That said, the 235 is a great receiver. Go out there and listen for yourself...:emoji_thumbsup:

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I have the HK and power is not a problem. It may be rated at 50 watts but it certainly has as much power as any 100 watt receiver I have owned.

Matt K P

Agent

well the clone of the 1014 was tested in home theater mag for december and it shows 115 watt/ch all channels driven. I gurantee that is more than a 235
;)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
When you compare the actual power of both I guarantee actual performance of the ability to drive most speakers above any desired level is comparable. The HK is a high current amp.

I would not choose the Pioneer over the HK based upon power. Compare the sound quality, features, etc.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Too much typing for me:)

My point is not to compare two the value base upon power alone. To say that one is better because it has more watts is not portraying the whole picture.

I am not going to get into "one is better than the other." I honestly don't care.

For me, I chose the HK.

For me, HK's high current, very conservatively rated 50 watts per channel is plenty.

I also don't give much credence to published specs. I want to hear it. I want to hook it up in my system and be the judge.

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
Sound is the first thing you should compare. How it sounds to you is the only thing that matters.
Options and power/channel is second.

I believe it would be more appropriate to compare the HK 435 to the Pioneer 1014, based solely on options.

You will be able to find web-sites with detailed reviews on the older HK units (230, 330 & 430) and reviews of the Pioneer Elite 52tx (the 1014 is basically a rebadged Elite 52tx). Just Google it.

The lab tests show that the Watts/channel for the Pioneer 1014 (52tx) is much higher then the HK 230. Again, it means nothing till you have a chance to listen to it.

I believe there is an almost-new 1014 up for sale in the Hardware section. I would also expect great in-store bargains on last year's HK 430.

Good look...
J

Shiu

Second Unit

Agree, I think that's a good way to do it.

However, KonradN started this thread and he asked the following question:

"So my question is whether the 235 or pioneer has more power. On papter the pioneer does, but HK always seems to have the most honest rating and I know that 50 HK watts per channel is usually more than 100 sony watts per channel".

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
The Pioneer has more power. How much more in a practical sense and how that would equate into performance in his system..who knows!?

My advice is to test them both out if he is really undecided. I may have gotten the Pioneer if they had been equally priced. Although I do think Logic 7 in 7.1 is far better than DPL IIX.

IMO...the HK sounded far better than the Pio Elite VSX-41, although this receiver really does not compare to the 1014.

The Pio seems to have a slight edge in power and features except for Logic 7. Also more money.

Konrad...try em out if you can in your set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks