What's new

Pioneer vs Panasonic DTS-ES Discrete a big deal? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
In any event if only one is available which would be better to have? Dolby D EX or DTS-ES?
Dolby Digital EX by far would be better as there are so many 5.1 DD discs that sound killer using the EX processing.

Wes

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify some things here on the DTS labeling. On my Pioneer Elite 35tx (used as a pre-amp with my Parasound amps) from last year, there is only a standard DTS logo, yet it does do DTS ES matrix without discrete processing. When DTS ES is selected the display reads "DTS ES" and it is also mentioned in the manual. Don't just believe the front labeling...if in doubt, read the manual, play around with the unit, or ask someone with more insight.

J

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Chris Shelly,

There is also a SMART Circle Surround(TM) back surround matrix decoder that works with both DD EX and DTS-ES formats that supposedly does better matrix steering than either one of those licensed products from Dolby Labs or DTS (Circle Surround has better channel separation than Dolby ProLogic, which is pretty much what is used to matrix in the back surround channel). It's cheaper too. DTS-ES encoded CD-ROMs only have a matrixed back channel, as DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 (requiring a new 6.1 discrete master) is a consumer format only.

Most movies are still not in either format, but many surround heavy movies will still sound great with the back surround decoder turned on. When you pre-screen the movies prior to opening day, you can make the determination of which sounds better.

Along with the extra speakers, you have to basically rewire your entire surround speaker array. The surround speakers against the back wall are still wired with a split left channel array/right channel array (in those instances where you choose not to feed them the mono back surround signal), and the side left channel/right channel arrays are fed stereo signals.

The back surround decoder can either pass through a duplicate left/right stereo surround to the back wall speakers (OFF), or switch the back speakers into mono to use for the separate back channel (ON).

Dan

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Dan,
I will ask the guy who does our install about SMART Circle Surround ( www.cin-tronics.com ). I have heard about it before and have looked at the equipment at Showest.
Ir kind of reminds me of some of the different optical 2-4 matrix processors they used to have. Dolby does not own the patent on this matrix. Only the noise reduction but even that is loose (A and SR noise reduction). I have seen and heard both Ultra-Stereo and a DTS analog optical processors. The Ultra-Stereo processor even has A noise reduction and SR noise reduction to be compatable with A and SR prints. Same names different process with the same results. Many in the industry believe Ultra-Stereo is actually better then Dolby because it is a much newer design. However you can't beat Dolby's marketing power.
The DTS optical processor was sold to new theaters installing DTS digital sound and they provided there own optical back up processor in one package. In the one theater I heard it in I was not all that impressed.
Chris

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, to use the SMART back surround decoder you still have to purchase DTS CD-ROM and/or Dolby Digital decoders.

Dan

Rex Quinn

Agent
Hey guys, check out the Canadian Panasonic website ( www.panasonic.ca ), and search out the SA-HE100. It is clearley stated that it has a Dolby Digital EX decoder, and has the logo as well. They only recently changed the Canadian site to have the EX info though, 2 months ago it didn't have it. I still haven't seen a change on the regular .com site though. Is it better in Canada or have they just not gotten around to updating the .com site?

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
So, just because it says ES on it does not mean it is discrete, although i do feel that the difference between matrix and discrete is just an ego thing.
I wonder if you think the difference of discreet and matrixed channels between Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Digital is also just an ego thing.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Hey Dan,

We have Dolby CP650 Digital processors in 3 auditoriums. These were installed late last year. They are Dolby Digital EX upgradable simply by installing a card.

We were thinking adding EX when we installed but not enough movies were being put out for us to spend the money. Now that almost every release is EX capable it is being considered. If we do this will give us an edge over some of the other theaters in the area.

Chris

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it really isn't a fair comparison. I mean, one channel in the rear, i think anyone would be pretty hard pressed to tell the difference between a matrix and discrete version. But obviously, the PL, and DD differences are night and day. Of course... the difference between stereo and mono... impossible to tell so said a "knowledgeable" best buy employee once.. You know how we ALL trust BB :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks