Pioneer V2600 Laserdisc Player. Worth buying?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre Bijelic, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

I have the opportunity to buy a Pioneer CLD V2600 laserdisc player for $150CDN. Is it worth it?
    Any opinions on the quality of this machine would be greatly appreciated.

2. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

That's about $100US, isn't it? Doesn't sound too bad, but I don't think it comes standard with AC-3 RF output or a digital audio out (for DTS titles). See, it's an industrial player, and although it may be more durable than most home players (such as the CLD-D504, D604, D704 etc) it won't have some of the better features because it was never intended for HT use (although it does have S-Video out, which is cool).
    If you're not planning on capitalizing on DD or DTS LDs then it would probably be a good player (and a damn durable one at that).
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

3. Dennis E

Dennis E Auditioning

I think you could do much better for less money.A bottom of the line pioneer cld-s104 would have a better picture and should come with a remote.Most of pioneers industial players do not come with a remote.A 104 is a very basic player with few frills{no s-video,no still frame on clv,single side player}
    but has a very good picture and can be had for about $80 US.
    Also an industrial player lacks the capability to play CDs.
    Look around ebay,there are some good deals out there for basic players if you dont need a full featured unit.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Andre, the industrial player will look very good, better than a CLD-S104. I should know, I once owned a 104. It is the best budjet player they ever made IMO, but industrial players look somewhat better. I've watched alot of industrial Laserdiscs at work. I used to sell cars, and all our monitors ran on LDs. They looked good. Many people have watched Lasdiscs and never known it at car dealers.
    Andre, most of the people I've chatted with who are buying these industrial units are getting them because they believe they'll last till the year 2525. Some models do have remotes, atleast one Pioneer model out there has an optical output, many models have 232 serial ports. Most of the models have only analog outputs though. But, it's excellent PCM. The best ways to play one would be into an analog bypass, or into the left and right of a 5.1 input. Only you know what features you can do without, if you get an industrial piece. You would get quality pic and durability as Jerry sez, GO VOLS, anyway I second Jerry's assertions! Best wishes from Laserland!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!

5. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Another point is that most of these industrial players can be easily modded for AC-3 output (as long as you know how to use a soldering iron or know someone who does).
    I guess the questions you need to ask are:
    1.) Does it have a remote?
    2.) Does it have an optical out for DTS and PCM?
    3.) Can you live without DD? And if not, do you want to mod the player for AC-3 RF (or have someone mod it for you)? There are quite a few references on this procedure on the `net and it really doesn't look that difficult.
    BTW, a lot of info on this player is available here:
    http://home.clara.net/laserdisc/lase..._cld-v2600.htm
    and here:
    http://www.omegav.ntnu.no/~eldorko/p...t/cldv2600.htm
    Good luck.
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

6. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice.
    I'm primarily interested in picture and PCM sound quality. I don't need s-video out, as I'll run it through a JVC 9500 VCR, which has a superior comb filter. DD and DTS capability really aren't an issue for me, as I'll mostly be watching older and more obscure titles that aren't available on DVD.
    Alas, it doesn't come with a remote, but I think I'll probably pick it up anyway.