What's new

Pioneer SX-1050 (1 Viewer)

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
Got a Pioneer SX-1050 at the flea market today for $10. VERY banged up on the outside, missing some knobs, the inside was VERY dusty, and there was wax inside… looked as if someone melted a candle on top of the thing.

Needless to say it needed a lot of restoration, so I got to work.

I plan to use this mainly as an amp for the front two channels. I think that the 120 real non-exaggerated watts offered by this will feed my power-hungry JBL L150’s better than the amp in my Pioneer VSX-D811s can.

So I was wondering if anyone has any further information on this receiver. And what do you think about what I’m planning to do with it?

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Chris,
One word, brother: SCORE! Your 1050, over which I am seething with jealousy, is part of Pioneer's much-vaunted, much-lauded line of receivers from the mid-70s (I'm using a 650, rated at only 35wpc, in my bedroom). Your 1050, in fact, is second only to the SX-1250 from the top of the line. Here's a link to some info about the unit from the Classic Audio web-site. Although the site doesn't say, I'm guessing it weighs upwards of 50 lbs(!!).
As for using it to power your mains, I say don't stop there! I suggest you use it also as a pre-amp for music use, assuming you've got a reasonable CD player; you'll also enjoy a fine tuner section. The 1050 will kick the s**t out your 811 (and indeed, many of today's "power-house" HT receivers), and it will do so in a most emabarrassing fashion, which is, of course, a good thing (you lucky SOB! :D ).
Regarding restoration: try this post on the Audio Karma site for some tips on cleaning the pots, in the event that the unit is producing scratchy sound when using the various knobs. This guy may be able to provide you with the knobs (or lamps) required, or perhaps he may point you in the right direction. Failing that, your best bets will be E-Bay, or perhaps a local vintage audio dealer (try the yellow pages, or a flea market). Cosmetics: alcohol swabs ought to clean up the face nicely. And the wax? I think you're on your own there, mate. Just be sure to not disturb anything when you remove it.
Lastly, here's a pic of the vintage receiver I currently use in my living room for two-channel. Mine is almost as minty-fresh as the unit pictured. It's not quite as powerful or beastly as your own (85wpc), and it was surely not as inexpensive, but it makes sweet music every day! Thanks for sharing your great fortune, and enjoy your vintage gear. Cheers!
DS.

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
Gotta love the "beer-can" capacitors :D
The reason I wanted to use it in the amp configuration, would be to preserve the multi-channel ability of my D811s, while feeding my mains with the power they deserve. For music use I will most defiantly use this all the way.
Thanks for the tips!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Chris - Great buy.

I have my old Pioneer SX-1080. Which I believe is 125 WPC. I'm also going to use it as a 2 channel amp for FL an FR as I go forward. I'm taking mine to Stereo Lab in Columbus for refurb.. Its in great condition but I want it completely checked out prior to putting it in operation again.

Pioneer SX -1080
Pioneer 45 TX
Paradigm Studio 40/v2
Paradigm CC
Definitive pro 100 sub
Bose Am-10 SR,SL,SBR,SBL
Toshiba DVD
RCA CD
JVC SVHS
Sony 35" TV (working on upgrade)

Dave, I've been blowing mine out with some air from the electronics shop.. Bunch of dust. Thanks for the links.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks