Pioneer Spec 1/Spec 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Bayne, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Jeff Bayne

Jeff Bayne Agent

Hi guys, I know this is a home theater forum and I'm asking about home audio, but I didn't know who else to ask.

What can you guys tell me about a Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2 set? Its from the 70's and seems pretty solidly built. both pieces are rack mountable and HUGE. the Spec 2 is the amp, and has the VU meters on the front which go up to 500 watts.

I have an opportunity to obtain this setup. The owner bought the set new in the 70's and said they were pretty expensive back then.

Questions:

What is it worth?- condition is what I'd call mint- the amp has pushed Bose 901's for years.

How does it compare to today's standards? I won't be using it for home theater- only stereo.

Is the amp a true 500 watts a side?

Will there be a problem hooking up a DIY powered sub to it in the future?

Thanks for any help!

Jeff

2. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

Wow, reaching way back into the memory banks for this but the Spec series were Pioneers top of the line for 6 years. The amp was 250wpc into an 8 ohm load and I think 350wpc into a 4 ohm load. It is a fairly low current design compared to modern Parasound, Adcom or B&K etc. etc. That said, it will work fine with 99% of all speakers you are likely to use. If you use a dual voice coil sub and hook up a channel to each voice coil you shouldn't have any problems unless you want live concert levels.

The preamp is OK but not a classic like the same age Marantz or McIntosh. I seem to remember that the switches were noisy but this was a long time ago.

Strangely enough these go for a pretty penny in mint condition ( I mean 9/10 with original boxes and manuals) but normally the Spec 1 can sell for $150-250 and the Spec 2 for $250-550. Sometimes they will bring more depending on the market too.

3. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

I purchased the spec 1 and the spec 4 in 1978, new. the spec 4 is 150 watt per channel little bro of the spec 2. Yes they are big, and shiny too. I only owned them for about 5 months. They were stolen. But the short time I had with them was great. The music was crystal clear. Smooth and not in your face harsh. IMHO a good buy for 2 channel music. Especially for the price you can probably get them for. If you are using a sub, just use speaker level inputs. After 25 years, I still have the spec sheet for the spec 1. I just couldn't throw it away. So, if you need any info for that unit just let me know. I say go for it.

4. Jeff Bayne

Jeff Bayne Agent

thanks for the replies guys! This is actually a mint set with all the papers and everything. but thanks Delray!

It might be a couple days before a deal is made, but i'll let ya know what happens.

Does anybody else have feedback?

jeff

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

My very first preamp was a Pioneer Spec 1 - in a way, I wished I still had it. Big and shiny with a lot of controls! If these are indeed mint and priced right, go for it. Then I'd go further and look for a Pioneer 9500 tuner (I'm not 100% certain of the model #) and one of those low-profile Pioneer reel-to-reels. There may have been a matching equalizer too, but my memory is a little fuzzy. Stick them all in a rack and you've got quite a system, and quite a conversation piece.