What's new

Pioneer SP-FS52-LR or used Tower (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Mike
I have pretty much decided on purchasing two Pioneer SP-FS52-LR to match with my Denon 1613 (I will add a subwoofer, center and maybe surrounds down the road). Before I do so though I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on whether the FS52s are my best option or should I maybe look at used/refurbished towers? My budget for these two speakers is $200. I am a little skeptical to buying used (craigslist etc.) but want the "best bang for my buck". Thanks in advance!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would be hesitant to say anything is the "best option". I will say I have those speakers in my setup and quite like them. I also have the C-22 center speaker and 2 BS21s as surrounds. I passed on the subwoofer and went with the BIC F12. All my Pioneer speakers were bought new on sale from Newegg.

You can find reviews of them on various websites. AVS has a fairly long thread devoted to the entire line.

Real Name
Mike
Thanks David! I've read a lot of the threads you mentioned above. Your setup is exactly the setup (including the surrounds and sub) that I was thinking of. How do you like it? Is it loud enough? I have a fairly large room that I will be placing it any.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
it is definitely loud enough if you give it power (I have the same Denon receiver as you and setup the speakers as "small" in Audyssey setup). I find I need louder volume levels than I did when I had one of those "Home Theater In a Box" setups with a subwoofer and little satellites. Some users find the sound too "boomy". I don't, and always found HTIB setups to be too high-frequency oriented. I use mine for both movies and music. I think the Andew Jones Pioneer line is a good bang for the buck line. It's not audiophile, but way better IMHO than HTIB.

Real Name
Mike
Thanks we currently have a five year old LG LHT854 HTIB system (with a DVD built-in - no true receiver) in our family room (this new system will be in our newly finished basement) so I'm our planned system will sound better.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It is a common misconception that modern AVR need to be "turned up more".AVR have moved on to relative volume doubling. -25 to -10 is the most common volume in the modern world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks