Pioneer SD582HD vs. Toshiba TW65X81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Raymond P, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Raymond P

Raymond P Auditioning

Anyone have any experience with either television and can tell me what they think of either model? I actually saw the Pioneer at Best Buy and the Toshiba 56H80. I thought the Pioneer had a better picture that appeared to be sharper. The salesman at Best Buy told me the Toshiba was better it was because they recently moved the Toshiba and the lenses got messed up? He stated how the Toshiba has a higher vpi? I'm not sure what that means but he said the Toshiba's vpi was 172 and the Pioneer was like 72? I noticed though that the two Pioneer models they had there seemed to have a sharper picture than any of the other HD models they had on display. Any input would be helpful, thanks. I'm really leaning toward the Pioneer although it is more expensive. I would like to get the Toshiba to save some money.

2. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Raymond,
    I own a TW65X81 and I love it. Im not sure what 172 vpi means, but I can't recommend this set more. I did a lot of investigation before shelling out the money for a RPTV so I suppose my purchase is a well planned one. Personally, if I were to purchase a Pioneer, it would be among the Elite lines - which are quite a bit more than the Toshiba TW's - that is the only reason I didn't get a Pioneer Elite.
    As far as the picture goes, the biggest factor is the source feeding it. If you have a progressive DVD or quality satellite or cable (yeah right) source, your picture will look pretty good. If you have a HD source, your picture will look unbelievable.
    Hope this helps.

3. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

Hands down in favor of the SD-582-HD5. In my opinion it has the better picture and Pioneer RP sets have proven (to me) that they are the most reliable out there.
    And, FWIW... contrary to what you may read in some other posts, the CRTs and lenses are identical between the Pioneer standard line and Elite line sets.
    Mark
    ------------------
    Our Home Theater
    Our DVD Collection

4. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

It's entirely likely that the convergence needed readjusting after a move...
    I have the Pioneer SD582, so of course I'm completely neutral in my opinion... [​IMG]
    Based on the posts in this and similar forums, and magazine reviews, it appears that the Pioneer's need much less tweaking out of the box to look good. Which is not to say that the Tosh's won't look equally as good with a bit more effort...
    I was going to get on the Tosh bandwagon, but couldn't find a TW56 anywhere (this was Feb 2000), so I ended up with the Pioneer, and couldn't be happier. Zero problems, looks great...
    Maybe the salesman was talking about dpi, or dots per inch (pitch?) resolution of the lenticular screen? Don't know...
    ------------------

5. Steven L

Steven L Stunt Coordinator

I have the TW65X81 and am extremely happy with it. I would heartily recommend it to anyone.
    For me, a big plus for Toshiba is their after-sales service. It's unfortunate that I needed after-sales service at all, but they were great to deal with - very prompt and attentive.

6. Raymond P

Raymond P Auditioning

Thanks for the posts guys. It looks like I really wouldn't go wrong either way. I guess I'll have to make a decision. Wish me luck.

7. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit