Pioneer SD533HD5

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Where can this set be found in the greater Toronto area and what sort of price range am I looking at?

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Anybody?

3. Brian Turner

Brian Turner Extra

Hi Chris,
    I can not help you with a dealer in Toronto, but I live in Ottawa, and the SD533HD5 is on my short list (along with Tosh 57HX81). My local dealer is asking $4999.00 cdn + taxes. In early Febuary he told me he had 10 on order, 6 sold for delivery end of March.
    If you find a better price, please let me know.
    Brian. [email protected]

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yep. I found a list of Pioneer dealers and I have sifted through the stores that have or don't have the HDTV's. I found the Pioneers for $4999 also. But I found the Sony KP51HW40's are going for $3499 and the 57" for $4499 so there's no way I'd go for the Pioneer at that price right now. I'd rather wait for the price to drop, and then wait til its been like that for a while and make an offer in July/August when the market is a little slow. I did that with a subwoofer and paid 33% or $500.00 less than I would have otherwise.

Here is my short list, but really, I don't plan to buy until later this year, if I do. I'm really just researching/dreaming:

Pioneer SD-533HD5 53" 16:9 $5000.00

Sony KP57HW40 & KP51HW40 $4499 and $3499 at Future Shop

Panasonic PT-47WX51 or PT-56WX51 ( not likely )

Hitachi maybe but they do 480p to 540p (at least better than toshiba though)

No Toshibas on my list cause I don't like their 480p to 540p upconversion. I'll have to check them out again, but when I was at a store that had Toshiba's, the DVD image was washed out on each set.

Another very serious option for me is a projector such as:

Plus Piano

DLT ti

$4699.00

Screen $350.00

Why? Screen size up to 8 feet. Uses less power (200 watts or less vs 300 watts). And that leaves me able to watch my crappy cable with my regular 32" TV anyways. I like the RPTV"s but don't see myself with HDTV channels for a while. I mainly want a large screen 16:9 display for DVD's. The Plus Piano also apparantly has a Dvdo iScan line doubler so my laserdiscs and vhs would also scale good. The Pioneer and Sony TV's have the best line doubling, so LD, NTSC cable and VHS would look good on them also.

I'm just going to keep looking at them and watching progressive scan DVD and NTSC cable to check their performance

....just my 2 cents. Lemme know how you do. Are you looking to buy any time soon?

5. Brian Turner

Brian Turner Extra

Chris,

Looks like we are both looking at purchasing around the same time. July/August. I am working on my basement should have it finished by early July, then will have to see what coin is left for a HDTV.

I will have to have another look at the Sony, but I find the picture just a little soft. The only Toshiba on my list is the 57HX81 gets good reviews.

Hope the Pioneer has a big price drop, but I doubt it, It has the best picture on the list.

Chow BrianT, Ottawa.

6. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys,

Just a potential warning for you all interested in the 533. I ordered mine through Best Buy about a month ago, and I went in yesterday to inquire about the status. The dept. manager told me this set has been discontinued and a new model is coming in April. I've heard this rumor before and didn't give it much thought, but now they are telling me I will get the new model for the same price.

There's no info about a new model anywhere. I emailed Pioneer last night about this matter, but don't expect much in the way of a response. I just can't imagine why Pioneer would replace a tv that's been out for less than 6 months, especially since it's one of their best selling products.

I feel slighted since I've done so much research on the 533 and if indeed there is a new model coming, I know nothing about it.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Chris Madalena,

Hmmm...thats quite weird isn't it? I wonder whats going to come of that. Very curious. Hope its as good or better than the 533.

Brian Turner,

Have you seen the Toshiba 57HX81 with a progressive dvd player connected??

So your short list is the Toshiba and Pioneer then? I have seen the Sony and it doesn't blow away the Toshiba with HDTV. I just don't like their upconverion.

I have to confess, I have only seen Elite Pioneer HDTV's and I have not witnessed the SD533HD in person yet. Have you guys seen the Pioneer 533 in action?

I have to do more comparing, but its not easy. Each Future Shop I go to has different signals going to each set. Some digital NTSC, some HDTV, some with interlaced DVD players. Very annoying. The biggest thing I dislike is the DVD players. I am more than happy to see what a set looks like with regular NTSC signals, cause I've got regular cable, vhs and laserdisc, but if they're going to connect a DVD player to the set, geez, use a progressive one and actually connect it via progressive would ya!!