1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer SD533 vs Toshiba 50HD82

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChadLB, May 19, 2003.

1. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Main use would be for DVD movies, Time Warner Cable, and some playstation.
    Can anyone recommend one over the other. From my readings they seem close. Maybe let me know what you own and why you chose it over the other if it was in your list.

2. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chad,

I bought the Pioneer SD533 over the Toshiba 50HDX82. The reason that I picked the Pioneer is that I was always told that it has a better picture. So far I am very happy with the set.

The Toshiba 50HDX82 does have a couple of features that the Pioneer does not have. DVI input and it displays 720p inputs. I believe that Toshiba is similar to the model that you are looking at, maybe it is a step above yours.

From what I have been told the Pioneer has a better overall picture and better wide-spread for non-HDTV signals. That would be important for cable and probably playstation games. Unless you want to watch with bars on the sides on the picture you will want to use the wide functions to watch cable, etc.

Pioneer is supposed to be coming out with new models very soon that will probably have DVI inputs and who knows what else. The SD533 can be bought for very good prices now or you may want to wait for the new models.

onecall.com has a great price on the Pioneer now through the Deals Page here on HTF. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/deals/deals.php
    Says it expires today but I doubt the price will rise much since they are clearing them out until they are gone.

Good Luck,
    Glenn

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Glenn,
    I was referring to the Toshiba 50H82 and not the HX82.

4. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chad,

>>I was referring to the Toshiba 50H82 and not the HX82.

I understand that but I compared the 50HDX82 and picked the Pioneer over it. The 50H82 is the model under it, I believe. Thus I would also pick the Pioneer over it as well.

When I was looking to buy the two that I compared were priced similar. onecall.com sells them all.

Good luck,
    Glenn

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Cmon people ....give me a little help here.

6. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I would go with the Toshiba, it looks better than most out of the box and the tweaks are really easy on it. The model you are looking at is also DVI upgradeable, the Pio is not and everything is going DVI.

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I would wait until the June/July time frame if you can. The replacements for the SD533 are supposed to be out by then. As of yet, there are no details available on the new sets features. I would definetly go with the Pioneer over the Toshiba.

8. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Greg t
    I understand new ones are coming out but that is why I might buy the older model to get a great price as it is hard enough to convince the other half that we need a widescreen tv.

9. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

My $.02, Pioneer no question. I have seen the two side by side and Pioneer always looked a little better regardless of the source. I dont know what role dvi will play during the life of that tv, but neither does anyone else. Either Tv is a great set. You should consider the HDX82 as it is in the price range of those two sets and has dvi (h82 does not) if that is going to be a determining factor.

10. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I chose the Pioneer over the Toshiba.I have allways liked Toshiba but felt the Pioneer had a better pic, plus I liked the stretch modes better for 4:3 broadcasts.No DVI on the Pioneer

11. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

The whole DVI thing is a big ? The pioneer doesn't have it the toshiba is upgradeable. How important is that?

12. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I have the Pioneer SD-582-HD. 58" model of the series before the 533/583. I really like it. Don't think you'd go wrong with the Pioneer.

13. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer:
    Better line doubler
    Better stretch modes (make that the BEST)
    Better picture quality/clarity overall
    Very, very tweakable
    Much better picture straight out of the box....
    Toshiba:
    See above

14. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Other opinions/experiences......anyone..