Pioneer SD532HD5 or SD533HD5?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_A, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

Which one should I get. Which one has more features?
    Would it be wise to get the older one because of price or wait a bit and get the new one.
    Also can a computer be hooked up to the TV?
    Whats the real deal with the Green tint stuff I have seen about these TVs.
    Jason
    ------------------

2. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

From other posts in this forum, it appears that the SD533 now has the same doubler that last years Elite had--based on that alone I would go with the 533 (sigh, and I've only got the SD582...).
    If you look at the DVD shootout #2 at:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-2-8-2001.html
    you'll see that the Elite 510 has deinterlacing performance on par with the best DVD players tested. So in theory you could spend less and get a non-progressive DVD player because the 533's doubler/deinterlacer will be more than adequate. Regular NTSC programming should look better also than on the 532.
    I'll let others jump in here...I can't recall whether Pioneer eliminated the "lock in full" problem with the 2002 sets or not...
    One last item--if it'll fit in your house, and you can swing the extra $$, I'd go for the bigger SD583--you'd be surprised how much smaller the set seems after you've had it for a few months. I don't think you'll ever hear someone say they wished they bought a smaller screen...
    I don't know if it's a national campaign or not, but my local dealer is offering 1 year same as cash on Pioneer products...perfect reason to upsize!

3. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

Marc,
    Pioneer has eliminated the 58" model from their regular lineup for 2002. It's 53" or 64". You can still get the 58" in the Elite line though.
    Mark

4. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, interesting--I thought I'd seen reference to a 583 model...that's quite a gap, from 53 to 64...

5. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

I also have read as Marc did that this years Pioneer is better than last years. If it's a toss up I would go with the newer model.
    ------------------
    Luke
    [Edited last by Luke_Y on November 08, 2001 at 04:17 PM]