What's new

pioneer SD-643HD5 calibration??? (1 Viewer)

Fred Galpern

Agent
I spent a couple of hours with AVIA calibrating my new pioneer SD-643HD5. Once I was finished the picture was unwatchably (is that a word?) dark and flat looking. I tweaked further with THX Optimode and finally ended with my own settings, which were wildly different from AVIA and THX. I have used AVIA before with my Hitachi 50" RPTV and was very impressed with the results. Do I need to let the new RPTV "burn-in" or "settle" before calibrating? Any other issues I should be aware of?

I am also interested in hearing from folks who have had professional calibrations done. It seems like the cost fo a good calibration is close to the cost of attending the ISF seminar. I may opt to attend the seminar rather than paying for a one shot deal. Any thoughts??

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Until I read the sentence about your older Hitachi, I was simply going to say that a properly calibrated display always looks darker and softer at first, until you become more used to truly accurate or near-accurate video. But, apparently, you are used to user-calibrated displays.

I wonder about the native light output of the Hitachi set. Perhaps it's an inherently brighter set.

But if you were to have the new set professionally calibrated, it would look the best it could ever look. However, it simply may not possess the lumens-reserves of the older one.

Anyone else?

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Fred,

The Pioneer's look real nice after a calibration. There is an ISF Seminar coming up in Hartford Connecticut on the weekend of the 13th that you may want to attend if that is the route you wish to go. However, I wanted to bring to your attention that many calibrators, such as myself, have a good amount of money also invested in the equipment such as a color analyzer, optical comparator, and HDTV test pattern generator. This is just something to think about, the choice is up to you.

Good Luck,

David Abrams

ISF Calibrationist

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks