Pioneer SD-533HD5 HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kurt Wasson, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Kurt Wasson

Kurt Wasson Auditioning

I was hoping to get some feedback on the SD-533HD5. I have been looking at this one in a few stores. I have read here that must of the stores simply pull the TV out of the box and plug it in. Knowing this, I have compared a few different brands, but thinking the picture can still improve. This Pioneer has looked the best in the stores that I have visited.
    I like the 72-point convergence compared to 9 that I have read on the other TV's (If I am way off PLEASE let me know). I also like the remote...It looks as if it might be able to learn other devices, but I have not read this (it has an edit/learn button on the remote).
    Can anyone help me out before I decide to throw down three grand? Other TV's I looked at were the Toshiba 50H8i, the Panny 47WX49, and the Philips 55PP9701(this is on clearance, that is what I am afraid of). I like the Panny because it has a nice web site www.panny.tv that knows the ins and outs of the TV and how it can be tweaked.
    Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks in Advance.

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Hello Kurt,
    I have had the SD-533 for about 3 weeks now and am in love with it. It is clearly the best RPTV under $4K for NTSC sources and IMO it has a more film-like image than the Mits Diamond 55908 with DVD/HD sources. The SD-533 does not suffer from ghost lines (Toshiba) or red push (Mits) and it has an outstanding line doubler and stretch modes. The build quality is on par with the Mits Diamond and is notably better than the Toshibas, Hitachis, Sonys, or Phillips. I also prefer the dark grey matte appearance of the cabinet to the glossy look of the Mits Diamond and Elites.
    The 533 does have 72 point user convergence, a very nice feature. The Mits has 64 point and the Tosh has 56 point convergence, but I believe those are service level adjustments on those sets, not user level. The 533 also has some other nice features, like being able to disable SVM and the ability to turn on or off the 3:2 pull down (PureCinema mode) from the user menu.
    Of course, there is no such thing as the perfect RPTV and the SD-533 is not the exception. There have been reports indicating the some 533's have 5%-15% green push and the screen is moderately reflective. Mine doesn't show any green push according to Avia (or my eyes) but I do plan to have my screens restacked when I have the set calibrated in 2 weeks.
    If you would like some more info, let me know. I think the new Pioneers are the most overlooked RPTVs out there right now and that is a shame, because I think they are a real step above anything else in the under $5K market.

3. Kurt Wasson

Kurt Wasson Auditioning

You mentioned you can disable the SVM. Is it like unplugging the wire harness or clipping the wires or an on/off switch?

Also, I presently have regular cable. I watch a lot of DVD's but I don't want to go hog wild on the trying to get all of the digital/hidef at once when everything is still a bit shakey. Should I still look at getting this tv if I will be still watching alot of analog tv and some DVD's?

How easy is the 72-point convergence calibrated? Can you do it yourself?

Sorry about all the question, but one last one. Have you found anything on the net that gives you any pointers and tips for the SD-533HD5? I would be interested on reading up a little more. Thanks for your help.

4. Lee_B

Lee_B Auditioning

I just posted a thread with the same questions. If you do buy the Pioneer let me know what you think. I am looking buying local from Best Buy. I believe I'll get the extended service plan ,also.

Lee

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Kurt, Lee,

6. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

I have had a Pioneer SD-532-HD5 for more than a 1 1/2 years. When I bought it, I got to fiddle with most every set out there, and this one was by far the best after adjustments. Since then, other sets have been released that *might* be better (I haven't checked them out), but mine has been a fantastic performer and I've never looked back. I've had no problems, and it still looks as good as the day I bought it. The only issue is an internal reflection (in the CRT's - I lined mine with Duvatene) that shows up on bright objects in dark scenes. This occurs to some degree in all CRT-based RPTV's, but the 532 is a little bit worse than average. However, color reproduction and black levels are excellent. The set also has important convenience features like direct input access & discrete on/off for Pronto users, a dedicated button for aspect mode changes (as opposed to going through a menu), numerous inputs (4, 2 of which are HD, one of which is RGB - which allows you to bypass the color decoder and any red/green push or other weirdness that may be build into the set).

You can get a 533 for $3,500 or less. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. And don't waste your money on the extended warranty.