Pioneer SD-532HD5... anyone have one? Should I get one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I currently have a 43" Hitachi 4:3 HDTV Monitor. I've kinda caught the itch to get a widescreen TV in the 47" - 53" size range. I came across a guy selling a little over 1 year old Pioneer SD-532HD5 53" widescreen HDTV for around $1200. Assuming the set is in good condition, hasn't been abused, doesn't have any burn in, screen scratches or other symptoms, and was purchased from an authorized dealer, would this be a solid set to purchase? Are there any known problems w/ it that I should be aware of?

It seems very enticing because my brother (who's a die hard 4:3 advocate, poor guy) has said that he'll give me $1000 for my Hitachi, making the Pioneer SD-532HD5 a $200 or so upgrade. Seems tough to pass up since the Pioneer I'm hoping to purchase will still be under warranty until the end of the year.

Any advice/suggestions? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Matt_Key

Matt_Key Agent

$200 for a pio 53 sounds great! I have the sd-533 and love it. I hope the set checks out ok for you!

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

yeah I thought so as well... only bad thing i've heard about Pinoeer RPTVs is that they are difficult to repair/service because to test them they have to be entirely re-assembled. I've heard this from my father who manages a TV/Electronics repair shop, so it's pretty reliable information. Hopefully since this is under warranty that won't be an issue.

Any other opinions? Thanks [​IMG]

4. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I have it's bigger brother, the SD-582HD5 and I am very happy with it. For the money, as long as it checkes out, you'd probably be doing pretty good in getting that.

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I too have a 58" Pioneer RPTV and the only complaint I have about it is that it locks in full which is a pain in the ass for watching non-anamorphic films in progressive mode. So if it's an old enough model that it locks-in-full you might want to think about a newer model.