What's new

Pioneer RPTV - Green Tint? (1 Viewer)

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer 533HD that has always had a slight green tint. Over the past few months the green tint has gone from slight to driving me crazy. Every nighttime or dark scene has slowly devolved into black and green. But starting this week, whenever there is black or white text on a broadcast (HDTV or SDTV), the print is green if the print is white, and the text has a green glow is the text is black. I've played with the settings and can't seem to make it stop.

I've never had the set calibrated, but I'm wondering if this sounds like a calibration issue or if I'm in for another repair.

hello. it might be as simple as a magnetic field near your tv. if you have any large metal things or speakers on top or next to your tv try moving them about a foot away from the tv and see if that helps

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If the green seems to be increasing rapidly, then it sounds like an electronic repair issue rather than a calibration issue.

You could get a local guy to come calibrate the unit for you, but negotiate a warranty so that if the problem turns out to be a repair issue, he will come back after the repair and redo your calibration for no additional charge.

It's a gamble ...

Or you could get the repair guy to come in and look at it ... and they may go ahead with the repair anyway, but you end up with a picture set at the mercy of the repair guy's preferences.

Regards

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

A magnetic field issue looks uneven on the screen surface ... where as grayscale issues are more or less uniform across the screen.

Regards

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I have a Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD RPTV that is going on 4 years old. I had it calibrated by Gregg Loewen after the initial break in period. It had a fabulous picture on it.

It has now been 3 1/2 years since the first calibration, plus we moved to a new house. I could tell that my set needed a recalibration, so Gregg was scheduled, and was here last Friday. The first thing he pointed out was how green my picture was. He put it on black and white, and it had a green tint. After Gregg did his magic on it, it is back to it's glorious picture quality that I love about this set.

I'll bet a calibration from Michael, Gregg, or any qualified technician would do wonders for your set. Happy viewing!!

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Since the green tint is not as bad through the dvd player, I decided to drag out the hd-tivo (I'm not a DirecTv customer anymore - long story). Sure enough the green glow around everything was gone. Maybe it was an issue with the old Panny STB.

As badly as the set needs calibrating, I haven't had it calibrated because of the high costs involved (compared to Houston) and I'm not sure how much longer the lifespan of the set will be. I did have repairs done last year after the set decided to blow a fuse every few days.

At least part of the problem is solved. For now. ;)

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Scratch that - the entire picture turned green until I moved the set. There must be a loose connection in a board somewhere. Time to call the repair guys...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks