What's new

Pioneer RPTV at Wal-Mart?!! (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
There is a Pioneer at Wal-Mart, about 55" screen, for under $2000, I think. Surely it is not the same as the regular Pioneer models. I wasn't aware Pioneer was going into that market. Anbody know anything about that set?

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it is the SD533HD5 that Best Buy used to carry. It is the Non-Elite model and from everything I've gathered at AVSForum, it is on its way out and a replacement should be here soon. No DVI input, no firewire, 2 sets of components. It really is time for them to get a new model out. That being said, if you aren't worried about the things I've listed then you'd be amazed at how great the picture is.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It was a very highly regarded set, if you can do without DVI, it's well worth a look. WalMart setup probably lousy.

That set retailed for $3500 when BB carried it.

My local Costco has the 64" version for $2295.

Mark All

Second Unit
I got my Pioneer 533HD5 at Best Buy a couple of years ago for $2799. Except for the Pioneer Elite version, it was the best on the market for its time for well over $1000 less than the Elite. Check out WalMart's Web site and you'll see it there with a delivered price under $2000. The only differences between the 533HD5 and the Elite version were the much, much, better cabinet on the Elite (of course) and a very slightly finer screen on the Elite. Otherwise the innards were identical. I wondered what happened to the 533HD5s when Best Buy stopped carrying Pioneer's TVs. They were available from a couple of online dealers for a while also, but I assumed Pioneer stopped making them since they were so similar in performance to the Elite models. The 533HD5 has an excellent HD picture in 1080i (it doesn't do 720p), and excellent sound. As was true with a lot of RPTVs, I can't tell much difference on the 533HD5 between component video inputs and SVHS inputs with DVD. The picture from a progressive scan DVD play is excellent either way. However, right now I'd recommend looking for a more advanced TV. Two years is a lot of time in TV-land.

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
My Walmart near me carries Model 6000 receivers and Samsung HD-OTA receivers as well as 3 different model plasma screens.
This Walmart opened up 2 months ago. I have not seen any of the old stores carrying HD anything. Yet that is

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks