What's new

Pioneer Receviers? (1 Viewer)

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy has a Pioneer 6.1 receiver for 399, says it does Dolby EX and DTS-ES, not sure the model number though. Are they any good? Do they do discrete ES?

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX and have 5 pioner recievers before that and I have liked them all. The reciever you are talking about is either the VSX-710 or 810. To awnser you question it will not do Dolby EX because it is not THX certified. I will do DTS EX hence the sixth channel. If it is the 810 it is definly worth it.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I have the 850ds and it decodes DD EX dvds but does not have THX licensing. Does it sound the same/worse/better? I don't know and have not had the chance to compare. It does decode all the movies with DD EX / DTS ES accurately. For $250 it was a good deal so I bought it and used it as a preamp.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
In my experience, the low price Pioneers perform very well. I have an inexpensive ($100) 2 channel Pioneer receiver and it's sonic performance equals any of the high end electronics I've owned.

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
Even though the Pioneer isn't THX certified it still pulls the sixth channel like any of the other non-THX receiver's right? Is it comparable soundwise to the Denon 3802?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Dolby bought the rights last Fall to THX EX and it will be labeled DD EX on all the new rcvrs that can decode it. The rumor is that most rcvrs do this, they were just not able to put the sticker on the hardware. Now that Dolby owns it, you will see all rcvrs with this logo manufactured in the last few months. Thats the rumor of the year. So to answer your question, a newer model/manufacturer date may have the DD EX logo and maybe the rcvr has not changed and maybe it has. Who will ever know????? 6.1 ES discrete would be my first choice and then DD EX. Funny that AI is 5.1. So much for the new releases being 6.1. I am starting to wonder if all this is going to die because of the recession and lack of support from Hollywood. When I was in SE Asia in the early 70s, quad channel was king. I had two quad reel to reel, Marantz 4400, quad dobly decoder/encoder, 4 Altec voice of theatre, and on and on. quad records and reel to reel tapes were becoming extent. So I donated all my stuff to set up two church PA systems and still had parts left over.

OK/ So here we go again, 6.1 and 7.1, 7 speakers, 400cd mega changer, Denon3802 7 amps. The stuff is smaller and with more features than ever before. I hope it stays supported.

I'm buying and I can't stop!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks