Pioneer receiver optical input assignment issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Middlemiss, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Hi, I just bought the Pioneer VSX-D811. It has one digital coaxial input and a couple of optical ins. The Coax is already labelled for DVD but I do not have Coax on my DVD player so I am using an optical connector. The OPT 1 in is labeled TV/SAT. I made a call to pioneer because I was not getting DTS sound out of it and was told that I can assign each of the inputs to recognise the source. So I changed the OPTICAL 1 input source to DVD and got NO SOUND at all. When I change it to TV I get sound? What am I doing wrong???

Thanks!
    Neil

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Neil,

the 811S has 2 digital audio optical inputs and 2 coax inputs in the back and one optical in the front I believe. You simply take your optical cable from your dvd player and plug it into one of the optical inputs in the back and then in the menu system you assign "dvd/ld" to that input (also, go ahead and turn off any other digital audio inputs that you're not using). What this means is when you select "dvd/ld" as your input source, the system will use that optical input for its *digital* audio source. I emphasized digital since you also have to make sure that the "dvd/ld" input source has the right type of signal selected. Look at the LED display and make sure when you select "dvd/ld" that it says "digital" and not "analog" on the left of the LED display. It's small so you'll need to look closely. If it says "analog" then use the remote's "signal" selector button to change it to "digital" This should then get you sound.

good luck,

--tom

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You may also want to check and make sure DTS output on your DVD is set to ON and BITSTREAM. 99% of DVD players have DTS disabled from the factory.

4. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Great! Thanks!!!