What's new

Pioneer quitting Plasma TVs, going out of business? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been reading some threads elsewhere about Pioneer quitting the Plasma TV business, and possibly going out of business. Cnet has a report of the rumor.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Having bought a Pioneer plasma two weeks ago, it doesn't make me especially comfortable thinking they may be going out of business. I'm not sure how warranty and repairs go in such a case (if ever needed).

This seems to make sense of the plummeting Pioneer prices -- I bought at 40% off MSRP, and prices have fallen another 10% since I bought :eek: I guess I can only hope there's a further price drop at BestBuy that I can match against and save a few more $$$.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
It should make no difference. The first year there will be circuit boards available for repair. The second year, there will still be some boards available for your extended warranty company to use for repair. The third and beyond, the warranty company will have to replace your TV: just the same as if the company was still producing sets.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wowzers indeed. I like the TV and will keep it. But I'm not sure I'd have bought it had I know a priori that Pioneer might be gone next month.

Ah well. If it doesn't have technical problems past year 2, all's good. And maybe I can sell it later as a collectible ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dave- Thanks for the link to this thread, I should have used this section of the HTF!

I have a Pioneer plasma Pro-1130HD that I got in late 2005 for the Holidays. It's a champ and still has a beautiful picture. I had hoped to upgrade to a 60" sometime soon. This is really unfortunate news as I think their displays are the most beautiful, not only the picture, but the simple and pure design of the display itself.

I'm torn about getting a Kuro way sooner then planned or sitting out and see what happens. Panasonic could take over where Pioneer has left off. They were going to work together as Panasonic was going to supply the glass to Pioneer's specs. I'm tempted to get one now!

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, the poor economy is taking a toll on the electronic industry. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and others have already closed plants and laid-off many workers. With the massive lay-offs we are experiencing the middle class can't afford electronic goods, especially those that are high priced.

Pioneer was committed to Plasma and even though Plasma is a great product they did not sell very well. I don't know what the rap is but LCD is the product everyone seems to want. LCOS, DLP died (Toshiba's SED never got out of the gate) and maybe this is now the end of Plasma. Panasonic is the other big Plasma maker and they announced plant closings and lay-offs.

4 years ago I purchased a 55" Philips LCOS close-out at REX's and the set has performed without problems. (In the meantime REX's went out of business.) At that time I also purchased a replacement bulb for fear that when the original died I may not be able to buy one. After 4 years I am certain if something goes besides the bulb I will have to buy a new set. If I can get 5 years out of the set it will be time for a new one. Good luck on your purchase.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The video industry is hard on manufacturers, as they all race each other to zero. They all kill their own profit margins to gain market share...

Same thing happened to computer manufacturers IMO.

Jamezuva

Auditioning
Real Name
James
so since I was considering getting a Kuro, what should I do? Do prices in this situation typically go up, down, remain the same? You think they would still continue warranty service as is?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I haven't read anywhere that Pioneer Corporation itself is going out of business - that would be HUGE news (and incredibly depressing). Don't forget Pioneer's main business is audio, car and home, and building/selling raw drivers.

I'm a fan of plasmas myself and no flatscreen expert, but for regular home viewing use (i.e. not broadcast studios) it seems LCD sets are getting very close to plasmas in image quality, so maybe the price difference is enough to push many people to buy an LCD instead?

Plus there's the "green" issue: plasmas in general supposedly use more power than LCDs, possibly another factor in the lower sales of plasmas.

Real Name
Mark B-E
Hello Guys,

Rumour's, speculation, news reports, ya' di' ya' di' yarrrrr!

All the manufacturers are down sizing....guys, but they are still producing the goods...all be it reduced output......

what about the news with a Japanese manufacturer who produces Projectors ''lets say'' they were in heavy losses and have been for years.....and guess what? they are still producing equipment.

Their projectors ar amongst the best in the business and are in great demand

Try reading the UK ''HOME CINEMA CHOICE APRIL 2009''

Under Features 24 HCC gets exclusive accessto Pioneer's R&D lab in Japan to learn about the future of KURO and it's new FUGA Processing tech.

Two page spread.........read this guys and do not worry, PIONEER have product's which are highly respected........throughout the AV industry.

They have invested so much time and effort in there product ''the actions and product speak for themselves here and we all know the benchmark of which they have set from production since the late 1990's to now, they have protected patents that the rest of the industry would die for........stay calm right or wrongly....will it or won't it, will they or won't they?

Read this article and keep the faith.......the product will go on....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had that part wrong. I gather they're exiting the Plasma TV and Blu Ray player businesses.

Why did plasma fail? The big reason right now, I think, is for Joe Consumer, LCD simply looks better than Plasma at the store. Had I not read "pro" articles that Plasma looks better at home, tuned up, I would have bought an LCD. My brother-in-law bought an LCD over plasma. When I asked why, he said the LCDs had better contrast and the Plasma's blacks all looked gray compared to the LCDs. This is completely opposite of what magazine reviews note for "realistic" viewing at home. But it's how things look with TVs in "Torch" mode under bright Best Buy lighting.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Though this wasn't a factor in my purchase at the time, it can be pretty significant difference. My LCD uses 290W while a comparable sized plasma is 638W!!!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There's a reason why print media is suffering today. By the time it appears, events have often outstripped it. I'm sure your two-page spread is very interesting, but how long ago was it written? In today's world, a lot can change in a month, or even a week. Just ask a former Lehman Bros. employee.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They are out of the Display Technology business completely and will focus on "audio".

I'm a little uneasy having a brand new TV from a company that's giving up on making TVs. It's mostly irrational: it's not as if I ever contacted Sony for the six years I had my WEGA.

It's not a good sign for the HDTV technology in general. By all accounts Pioneer has the best "blacks" and contrast ratio for current HDTVs, this will reduce (but no eliminate) competitive pressure on improving those TV traits.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
More recent news about it: Pioneer to exit flat TV market, cut 10,000 jobs - News Wires - CNBC.com
I'm sure there's many reasons, including these...........
Compared to LCD, plasmas use much more electricity.
Plasmas put out a lot of heat.
Compared to LCD, plasmas are heavy.
The glass screen reflects way too much (my personal favorite gripe).
Plasmas, especially Pioneer, costs too much, compared to other technologies.
I also hear they are very expensive to repair.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

It all may be true, but the Pioneer Elite plasmas are the top of the mountain!
Thursday morning I ordered a Pioneer Elite 111FD. I spent a long afternoon a few months ago comparing that HDTV to other HDTVs - Plasma & LCD. NOTHING came within a country mile of the Elite 111FD. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you say so............though that's a matter of opinion.
It's MY opinion that the reflective screen makes plasmas not worth having!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That one thing keeps a plasma from ever being in my house. If I have to see everything reflected in the screen, I'll just keep my CRT.
But this is just my opinion, as the above is your opinion.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I guess it's good we don't all like the same things. Then there would only be one brand and model of tv, one brand, model, and color of car, one style and color of house, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks