Pioneer PureCinema vs. Standard

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leo, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Leo

Leo Second Unit

I'm using a Mitsubishi 65819 and a Pioneer Elite DV-45a. I've noticed when I tried the custom setting for Video that when I used PureCinema, I get a lot of "banding" chroma artifacts. But when I switched to the Standard setting, it was just fine. I consulted the manual and found that it appears if you use PureCinema it's trying to convert from 480p to 525p. And in the text it mentions several Pioneer models that are compatible with the PureCinema setting. Has anyone else experienced this effect?

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

3. Leo

Leo Second Unit

From Chapter 3 page 19:

4. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Played with the PureCinema setting some one. The scan line artifacts only show up on my Mitsubishi when I switch it in the video settings. After that everything appears just fine.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, that's a puzzler.

I really do NOT understand what they are saying. Then again, this is not the 1st time I have found the Japanese to English translations to produce somewhat confusing results.

I suspect that they are saying to switch from progressive to standard (which I still think means going from 480P to 480I) if you have problems with sets that have a native resolution of 525P. Perhaps there are issues sending 480P to sets that must scale it to 525P.

I still do not see how this relates to PureCinema.

Glad you have found a workaround. Unless someone chimes in that can better explain this, you might try a post over at Home Theatre Spot. They have a Pioneer specific and Mitsi specific forum where some one may have a better understanding.

Regards,

BL

6. Brian Noud

Brian Noud Auditioning

I am new to this and recently bought the Pioneer DV-45A.The Progressive Scan on this model has me confused.I assumed this player would work in Progressive Scan on any HDTV.If it will only work wih Pioneer HDTV's,this player is going back.Can somebody PLEASE let me know if this is what the manual means.

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I can not confirm what the manual "means", but I am quite sure that there are other users that are running this player with non-Pioneer sets.

A search for 45A in this, as well as the Display Devices forum should answer the question.

FWIW, I know that there have been issues with various players and various TVs. For example, there are TVs that lock into Full mode whenever getting a progressive signal. That would be incorrect for non-anamorphic titles. If you have that problem, and the player lacks aspect ration control (most lack this) you are hosed when watching non-anamorphic titles using the progressive output.

I suspect that the quoted section is Pioneers way of playing CYA.

Hopefully someone using the 45A in Progressive mode on a non-Pioneer set will chime in.

BL

8. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

They wouldn't sell many of these if they only worked with their own sets. You can absolutly use this player with any RPTV or any direct view set for that matter. Do like Brian said and do a search of this forum for Pioneer 45A and you will see many posts from people who own this player and non pioneer RPTV's. I think Pioneer puts that little blurb in their manual to get some free advertising for their Elite RPTV's. Just enjoy this player and don't worry about it.

9. Brian Noud

Brian Noud Auditioning

I did do a search and 90% of the post deal with bass management and the rest I noticed either mentioned nothng about it (PROGRESSIVE SCAN) or the people who liked the video had analog 4:3 sets.

10. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

11. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

I just got this player yesterday and when outputing the 480P the image is blown up. I have a Mits 55511. I'll put it in standard and shut off the progressive scan and see what happens to the picture size. I now see 2.35:1 films with the smaller black bars (where 1.85:1) movies used to be on my old Denon DVD1000. I'll see what changing the video settings does to aspect ratio. PQ is way better than the Denon BTW!
    SC