Pioneer Pro 720 vs. Sony 65XBR2 for NTSC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Skip Hammerman, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Skip Hammerman

I am contemplating purchasing one of these two great units and like the HDTV quality on both. However, since a lot of my viewing will still be in NTSC, I am also very concerned about the poor NTSC quality of (all) the HD sets.

Which one of these two units do you feel does a better job with NTSC broadcasts or regular DSS signals? I have not been able to compare them side by side and would greatly value educated opinions.

Thanks,

Skip

2. Michael Bailey

Michael Bailey Stunt Coordinator

I have a pioneer 720 and my experiance with NTSC signals has been variable. Some cable and sat pictures look resonably good while others are practically unwatchable. The line doubler of the pioneer is reputed to be one of the best in the business but it cant even salvage some of the crap that is broadcasted. I have not seen the Sony XBR2 but I would presume that it is also a good set.

These sets are primarily designed to give the best signal with HDTV and DVD type sources. If you plan to watch more cable or regular DSS you might be better served with a large direct view digital 4:3 set. But if you want the best image possible on DVD/HDTV the either the Sony or Pioneer should do the job for you.

3. Ed Brunelle

Ed Brunelle Extra

I would concour with the post about upconverting to the 480P Mode.

You really are at the mercy of your cable company...

In all other repsects I love my 720. The natural wide mode is very "watchable".

Once I get the ISF to Calibrate the TV I will be better able to give you a full report.

Good Luck.

4. Skip Hammerman

I currently have a ISF calibrated (by John Gannon) Sony 61XBR48 NTSC set which has a great picture. That is the reason why I am hesitant to "upgrade" at this point when HDTV programming still is quite limited. Of course the benefits are unquestionable with progressive DVD and with HDTV but I still would guess that 75% of the time I would not watch either of these sources. So, it would be critical to have a set with the possible NTSC picture.

BTW, here is my equipment list highlights:

Proceed PAV/PDSD/CDP

Elan Z housewide distribution

Escient Tunebase CD Mgt System

Sony CDP555ES 300 CD Library (2)

Dunlavy SC-IV LR

Dunlavy SC-I Center

Klipsch THX Surround

Velodyne 18FSR

Sony DVP S-7700

Sony 61XRB

RCA DSS