What's new

Pioneer plasma considerations (1 Viewer)

OwenF

Auditioning
How is everyone doing?

I have a few questions:

I am now in the market for a plasma TV. I purchased a Pioneer Elite receiver and could not be happier. I have my eye on a Pioneer 50" TV as a result, and from what I can gather, is a high end plasma.

My questions are:

1/ I have been told that the difference between the Elite and regular Pioneer plasmas is that the regular Pioneer plasmas are using technology from the Elite models from two years ago. The panels are the same. Given the large price variance, is the current Elite technology that much better/different from the regular Pioneer models and does it justify the price increase?

2/ Also, I keep seeing these great deals for online purchasing. I believe the PDP 5060HD model is currently advertised by a dealer listed online for under $3,000 US. Purchasing something of this nature online makes me nervous just because I have never made an online purchase of this magnitude before. Are there any warranty or shipping issues? Do dealers advertised online generally ship to Canada? Any online experiences you would like to share would also help.

3/ Extended warranties - Are they like car warranties where they are a waste of money (IMO) or are they necessary for plasma technology. I believe Best BUy is offering a 5yr warranty for $1,200 which is fairly pricey. Again, any experiences would be helpful, from people who have purchased and used the warranty, and from those who purchased it and found it to be a waste (don't worry, I won't make fun ).

Sorry for the long post and numerous questions. Thanks in advance.

Owen
:)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I'm also in the market for an hdtv. I've been notified of an impending sale on the Pioneer PDP-4214HD 42" Plasma at Costco (B&M). This tv will go on sale beginning Monday, 13th for $1999.99.

Since this will be my first hdtv purchase, I'm awfully apprehensive about buying. However, if you're a member of Costco, a lot of this anxiety is mitigated by Costco's remarkable return policy/satisfaction guarantee - it's lifetime. So, consider BB's $1200/5 yr warranty unnecessary.

Obviously, if you're not near a Costco, this won't apply. Not sure where you are in Canada, but Costco does have a number of locations there.

Hope to hear other replies on the quality of Pioneer plasma prior to Monday.

OwenF

Auditioning
Thanks man.

I did not realize that Pioneer products were sold in Costco. The model that is available on the Canadian site is the PDP 3000 which is a 42" plasma.

Does Costco get different models or versions than the smaller shops? If so, is there any difference to be concerned about. The price is right at $2,699 and it includes a stand.

Steve_Baimo

Auditioning
the 4214hd is not a quality pioneer product. I returned mine last week and bought a 4360hd from another dealer and am much happier. The 4214HD is impossible to calibrate for a good pictures. The blacks are terrible ans the shadows smudge. However you can always take it back to costco like I did.
Now I have a 4360 in the BR and elite 1130 in the LR and there is very little difference between the two.
I never saw a 5060 for under 3G's. The best I saw from an authorized dealer online was 3950 delivered (couple hundred less from non-authorized dealers delivered).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks