Pioneer plasma can't show hi-def cable and use widesceen mode for 4:3 at same time?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rick_Brown, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Just hooked up a Pioneer 4330 plasma to my digital hi-def cable box (Rogers Cable in Toronto). When I choose the component input on the TV, which provides a 1080i signal, I can watch hi-def channels in widescreen. But the rest of the channels are shown in 4:3, and the TV won't allow me to choose widescreen mode for these channels.

If I switch to the S-video input, the widescreen option for 4:3 content is now available, but I can't display the hi-def channels. I have scoured the manual and tried every option but it seems I'm sunk. I guess I can do a macro button to switch inputs for hi-def, but this gets in the way if you like to channel-surf like I do.

Anyone have any other ideas?

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Rick,

High definition channels send the black bars at the side when regular programming is upconverted to 1080i. The black bars are from the source and there is nothing you can do to avoid them. Regards.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Rick,

What converter box are you using? The Motorola DTC5100 allows you to select "auto" for the output of the component video. This will attempt to output the native resolution and format of the input. Thus, HD will be 1080i/720p and SD will be 480i. This will allow you to switch the 480i to stretch mode on your plasma. It seems your plasma "locks in full" for 1080i.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

As far as the TV is concerned, the material coming from the component output of the box is all 1080i ...

the 4:3 material has been upconverted to 1080i (with bars slapped on the sides) by the box or at the source. There is nothing wrong with the TV.

Must use the S input if you want 4:3 material displayed native ...

Regards