What's new

Pioneer PL-518 turntable very low volume (1 Viewer)

Stay Tuned

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Just taken out of cold storage after 20+ years, worked perfectly before and was carefully padded and packaged. Only difference now is 6' extension to RCA cord because of proximity to receiver/amp. Have tried different RCA inputs at amp with no volume change. No difference whether grounded or not. Everything else appears to be working just fine. Ideas/suggestions/solutions(?) more than welcome. Thank you.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
^^ I agree with Scott. It was what I was gonna say. It needs a pre-amp to increase the level to within its safe level. What is the m/v level as I not used a turntable in decades now.

Stay Tuned

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
First of all, thanks for the replies. No phono input but have used the aux and tried the vcr also. I have an older cd player plugged in that works with no problem. Does that tell us anything? Using optical in from tv for all hdmi inputs from other sources. Amp RCA inputs are: cd, aux, dvd/vdp, vcr, cdr/tape. Denon AVR-1706 A/V Surround Receiver. Specs say nothing about a pre-amp but, again, a 25+ year old cd player works with it. Also, I didn't mean cold storage but the last 10 years have been unheated storage.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Phonographs require an additional phono preamp for various reasons. If the receiver doesn’t have a dedicated Phono input, then you need an external phono preamp to use a regular analog input. Or a turntable that has an internal one of its own.

Stay Tuned

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I guess, then, the fact that the previous two receiver/amps I used with this did have phono inputs is why I had no problem before. Thanks for that info. Does that mean that a CD player has an onboard pre-amp or why did the turntable not work in that input? If a pre-amp is my only solution, do you have any recommendations as these are new to me. I never like to go with the cheapest option but don't want to get too carried away either. Anything I need to watch out for or is it pretty straight forward? Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, that kind of is the case. Other components have an output stage, which you could call a preamp. Turntables usually lack that, though these days some (usually) cheaper ones have them built in. A phono preamp also has audio equalization that is part of the whole phonograph playback system, so you specifically need a phono preamp.

others will have to give suggestions, but the Emotiva XPS-1 is highly regarded for a reasonable price.

Stay Tuned

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Understood. Thanks again. I've had this for a loooong time and I take good care of my equipment and have seen some of these turntables go for close to $400 on (obviously) secondary market. I'll take your advise and look for that pre-amp. At least it's a place to start. Thanks all for your help. It is appreciated.
Sorry andySu, I could not answer m/v query as I have a ton of construction tools but only a couple electrical testers

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Last edited:

Stay Tuned

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
If it isn't a pre-amp issue then your cartridge might be defective (wiring died from years of lack of heat). But it definitely sounds more like a preamp.

FTR I've had this for five years and it hasn't let me down.: https://www.amazon.com/ART-DJPREII-Phono-Preamplifier/dp/B000AJR482&ved=2ahUKEwjpltTBkMznAhVETd8KHQM_AsQQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3nOuaCizeKIZa-sr4XSDFD

Thanks very much for your input but after visiting many, many sites and reading a LOT of reviews I've already ordered the Emotiva. I guess I'll find out about your cart/wiring suggestion soon. The original is still there along with stylus and I have no idea what the life of them should be but if a replacement should be required, what do you think about the Ortofon 2M red? Thank you.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Thanks very much for your input but after visiting many, many sites and reading a LOT of reviews I've already ordered the Emotiva. I guess I'll find out about your cart/wiring suggestion soon. The original is still there along with stylus and I have no idea what the life of them should be but if a replacement should be required, what do you think about the Ortofon 2M red? Thank you.

Ortofon's good. I use a Shure M97xE on my Audio-Technica but those are discontinued so not really worth recommending.

Stay Tuned

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Ortofon's good. I use a Shure M97xE on my Audio-Technica but those are discontinued so not really worth recommending.

I did find a few of the Shure still avialable but thought for the price difference I might try the Ortofon (about 1/3 $$) as I see them get good reviews from many different sites, also. Maybe go that route when I upgrade other components. Thanks for the quick reply and your input. It is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks