pioneer PDP-5030

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by phil.b, Feb 10, 2006.

1. phil.b

phil.b Auditioning

This is my first thread/post. My apologies if this has been directly answered before. Please cut this newbie some slack if I am therefore repetitive or not very good yet at asking my questions. Thank you kind folks in advance and please do let me know the good or (hopefully not) bad news.

I have a PDP-5030 Plasma television (Appx. 2.4 years old) which has been terrific. It connects to a tuner with a Pioneer-specific, DVI-like cable.

I have read of the regs from the studio not allowing for analog acess to Blu-Ray and am scared to death that I will not be able to be an early adapter to the coming player this Summer.

My questions are:

1. Will my PDP-5030 plasma (working with the existing Pioneer DVI like cable) be able to interface with the Blu-Ray high-Def player at all? Perhaps only with component inputs?

2. Will I need some sort of DVI to HDMI cable replacement and/or adapter to receive the Blu-Ray High Def signal. And, is there or will there be such an item offered on the market?

3. Will my Pioneer Plasma PDP-5030 be able to receive Blu-Ray High-Def with or without modifications?

If there is only bad news to these questions, further advice please as to what I might do.

Thanks again everyone!

--Phil

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Phil. Welcome to HTF!

I believe this thread It's Official High Def DVD will be HDMI in the HT-Software High Def fourm talks a lot about this.

It looks like you must have an HDMI interface for the things to work - much like the up-converted DVD players today must have at least a DVI input.

I doubt there will be a 'converter box' because the entire reason for HDMI is the copy-protection - the television must constantly re-assure the DVD player that it is not making a copy.

(I am in the same situation. My beloved Samsung DLP only has a DVI input).

On the other hand - people have pointed out that you can get a Blu-Ray DVD player for $1300. Or wait a few months and get a Playstation 3 with a Blu-Ray DVD player built in for ~$400.

Hang out in the HT Software fourm and the Audio/Video sources fourm to keep up with the battle. The fight is not over yet.

Hope this helps.

3. phil.b

phil.b Auditioning

Thanks, Bob for your kind reply. It looked like no one would give me some feedback for a while there.

I am still hopeful that some form of cable adapter might save my $8k, 50" Pioneer Plasma investment from two years ago.

Like most of the rest of us fairly early Plasma buyers at the time, I never dreamed that the studios would conspire to keep me out 'o watching High-Def DVD. Their "pirate fears" have nothing to do with me as a consumer; except the studios have poorly chosen to make it personal.

Hopefully, an after-market solution will get released, thus allowing me to enjoy the Pioneer PDP-5030 in year three and beyond! Wives have a tendency to go postal when you explain that your still-almost-new Plasma investment is useless for enjoying a new format.

--Phil

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

We call it SAF for "Spousal Acceptance Factor". [​IMG]

I suspect you may have a few years to wait before enough HD DVD media is available before you must face the awful truth: you have to get a new TV.

You did say you were an "early adapter" and the down-side to this is sometimes things shift and you have to replace equipment often. But then your beloved Pioneer can become the bedroom-system.