Pioneer or Hitachi ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ricky-d, Nov 23, 2002.

1. ricky-d

ricky-d Auditioning

Hello to all , here I am in coooold Montreal, and I am about to take the step and get myself " The Big One "
    I will be purchasing a 65 incher,and have it down between the,Hitachi 65SWX20B,and the Pioneer SD-643HD5 and would like your opinion, wich one would you pick ?
    Thank-you

2. Jon Sciabica

Jon Sciabica Agent

i vote Hitachi

3. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

Me too.
    Another vote for Hitachi[​IMG]

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Pioneer. I have been looking for a RPTV lately. A local electronics store by me had both an elite and a Hitachi (not sure which one, just similar screen sizes) right next to each other. On HDTV, they were REAL close. They then feed Attack of the clones to them both via composite, and the hitachi was very grainy. It simply could not compete with the Elite. I know that both were right out of the box with no calibration at all, but the Hitachi still looked pretty bad. Of course it was still $1000 less than the Elite. This post is not intended to offend Hitachei owners, but I would say to the poster when you are comparing RPTV's for possible purchase, do compare them on more than just HDTV or dvd sources.

5. MichaelFusick

It's probably picture setting related.

In back to back testing, in Perfect Vision magazine, the Hitachi looked as good running 480i from the DVD via S-Video as the ELITE did running component video 480P. This was same time, side by side testing done by and ISF tech.

without proper settings and calibration, just hooking them up is not a great reference because:

Out of the box quality varies
    Settings were not adjusted or calibrated

Having both sets calibrated then compared makes sure each set is 100% (like the magazine did)

what if your samples were bone stock and the Pioneer was a 95% set and the Hitachi a 75% set?

But, you could buy and end up with a 80% Pioneer, as opposed to a Hitachi that is 90%...

This is one of the biggest reasons for calibration, to make sure that the set performs to a set standard and as good as it can be.

Most people balk at the idea of such calibration based on the cost of the service; but in this case I am quite sure that a Hitachi SWX and a calibration would both cost less and peform better than a Stock ELITE, so based on value I would still reccomend it.

6. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Pioneer Elite kicks the sh*t out of Hitachi. Hitachi is not even in the top three of HD RPTV's.
    ricky-d, do yourself a favor and do a search on this. You will see that certain posters, (see above), pushes Hitachi's all the time, and I push the Elite's!!
    Let your eyes be the judge, but the Pioneer Elites are generally considered the 'Benchmark' that all others are compared to....[​IMG]

7. Matt_Key

Matt_Key Agent

I bought the Pioneer myself. All the replies here mention the elite, but the sd-643 has a better 480p DVD picture than the hitachi IMO. The hitachi produced odd spotty artifacts on faces on my showroom floor. I attributed this to the upconversion.

The pioneer is more attractive on the outside too, compared to that silvery space age base of the hitz.

Hook up a decent progressive scan player to both tvs, and you will come to your own conclusion.

Matt

8. Dan Ponze

Dan Ponze Stunt Coordinator

I vote Hitachi. I think it looks stunning on DVD progressive. Which DVD player are they using? Try the Phillips with the Faroudja chip, that unit is amazing. I think Panasonic and Onkyo also have some with the Faroudja chip.

9. MichaelFusick

Pioneer used to be the benchmark.

Now, it's still great, but does not hold up as well as it used too..

Double the price? Is it double as good?

It's red push is not correctable.
    It requires a massive amount of effort to do a full geometry and ISF job, while by design the Hitachi is much more freindly with a single geometry setting, and ISF mode in the service menu.

SWX has a better screen and better blacks and shadow detail. Also has a sharp picture and fine detail and resolution.

For under $3K it's a bargain and holds up against sets twice it's price in picture quality.

10. Bob Jr.

Bob Jr. Stunt Coordinator

Ricky-d, I have seen both the 643 and the Hitachi SWX and both appear to be fine sets. (I own a 53" Hitachi SDX) You need to decide for yourself what set delivers the best picture to your eye. From a picture standpoint, properly calibrated, both will be outstanding. However, if you will be watching a lot of 4:3 content, the Pioneer stretch modes are better than the Hitachi. If you will be mainly watching HD or DVD's, you can't go wrong with either one.

11. MichaelFusick

Yes, decide for yourself by playing with the remotes.

You can't really go wrong with either.

12. ricky-d

ricky-d Auditioning

Thank-you all for your contribution , I have finally took
    my decision , and the Pioneer 64 inch has found a new home. I should be receiving it on Friday .
    I will let you know how it looks in my den.
    Thanks to all

13. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION!!! IMHO

14. ricky-d

ricky-d Auditioning

It has arrived and it looks great , still needs some tweaking, but I am sure that I will have great viewing with this babe.
    Thanks