pioneer or denon?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by craig_curtis, Feb 3, 2004.

1. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    i'm in the market for a new dvd player... I was looking at the denon 910
    and the "Pioneer PureCinema Progressive-Scan DVD Player with MP3 Playback Model: DV-563AS " from Best Buy. The Pioneer is about half the price of the denon, which is one reason I wanted to ask about it.

i have a denon 1803 and would like the denon but have to admit that saving $150 and getting mroe features is attractive. but i know you get what you pay for. how is the video quality? sound quality? build quality?

thanks

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The Denon 910 has the Faroudja, de-interlacing chip, which is the best currently available to the consumer market.

I do not believe that the Pioneer has this chip, though it is possible.

I highly recommend acquiring a DVD player with this chip.

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Pioneer does not have Faroudja, they use an inferior de-interlacer - the Denon is way better quality!

4. DavidK

DavidK Extra

What's your budget & how do you anticpate using your new player - music vs DVD, etc? The Denon 910 does have a better picture due to the Faroudja DCD...but it depends on how critical an eye you have, and your associated equipment as to how evident this would be say over the Pioneer 563AS you also mentioned.

Of course the Pioneer plays both DVD-A & SACD - a nice plus, and the picture is quite good...although again not quite as good as the Denon 910. But there may be better choices for you than either of these...it depends on budget, needs & desires, etc

5. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

I am of the opinion that the DVD910 represents a superior value, despite being more than twice the price of most straight DVD players.

Last fall, I played compare and contrast with the Denon DVD910 and DVD2900 against a Panasonic RP62 that my customer brought in for the experiment, a Toshiba SD3800 and a Sony 725N.

I used a Hitachi 65S500, and swapped between the players using Monster Z300 component cable, using both inputs, so I could switch quickly between players. The two discs I alternated were 2 copies each of "Moulin Rouge," which is famous for its colour and a demo disc from the Imax series, which has excellent fine detail. I went to some trouble to ensure that both players were synched, so when we went to "pause," we'd be on the same frame.

To make a long story short, the visual differences between the DVD2900's 12-bit/108Mhz Analog Devices chip and the DVD910's 12-bit/54Mhz chip were subtle, yet present.

The difference in detail, colour saturation, and artifacts between the three mass market DVD players and the Denons were startling. There was no doubt among any of the onlookers that both the DVD910 and the DVD2900 looked better.

For the money, the DVD910 is a superlative unit. If you want SACD/DVD-A playback, that's another thread entirely.