Pioneer LD-V4200 Laserdisc Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brown, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    Picked up one of these for the living room. Paid $20 for it at the local swap meet (Same place I got my Panasonic LX-1000 for $30 at). It only has analog outputs, and the picture quality is not as good as my Panasonic, but since the living room only has an old Pioneer Pro-Logic receiver and an old Mitsubishi RPTV, seems to be a perfect match.

When I first tried out a Disc, I heard an awkward crackling sound out of my right speaker, but then I remembered that it was a Dolby Digital Laserdisc and uses the analog-right channel to encode the signal. I unplugged the right channel and it worked fine in Mono… but is there any way to play these discs back in stereo?

Any additional information anyone else has on this player would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Chris, does this player only do analog sound? Does it say Digital Sound on the player anywhere? The analog can be stereo. Does the player say CX Noise Reduction anyplace? I bet this player has an RF output too? If it does, it's totally unusable for AC-3 discs, I mean the RF antenae output, BTW. I'm sure you're using composite but that's how it works. Back in '95 there was briefly a demodulator made to fish AC-3 sound out of a player's regular video RF output. I saw it in Stereo Review. I remember because I took pause to consider buying one but decided it would be better to go out and buy a CLD-59, which I did. [​IMG] Best wishes!

3. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I found a websire that has pictures of it on it.
    http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/la...r_ld-v4200.htm
    It says "CX System" on it and has the CX logo.
    Doesn't have any RF connectors, just a composite video-out connector and 1/L and 2/R audio jacks.
    Tried to watch James Bond Goldeneye today on it, and had it just using mono sound on the channel that didn't have the dolby signal, and it turned out to be a commentary track... bummer, doesn't look like it will be able to play my Dolby Digital discs and even if it has a regular mono track, mono sound isn't very appealing [​IMG] Tried the SPEED Laserdisc on it, and it worked great because it has a stereo analog track. Oh well I can't complain for the price.
    It has a "EFM OUT" jack and an RS-232 port... wonder if I could do anything with those...

4. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Stereo CX encoded analog LD audio sounds pretty good, eh? [​IMG] Comparable, maybe better than low bitrate DD2.0!

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Chris, the 232 jack is for external control so that several monitors could be sycronized or otherwise controlled. That other jack I think looks like something I've seen on some ancient stereo or hi-fi equipment...? I'm figuring it only does sound...?
    You've got plenty of money leftover, surely, after the bargains you got on these two players. You ought to hunt for a CLD-99 for $59.95! [​IMG] I have a feeling you might find it! Best wishes!