Pioneer LD-V4200 Laserdisc hookup problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Leonard, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Bruce Leonard

Nov 15, 1999
    I have an old laserdisc player from 1989 that will only play analog discs. The connections on the back are: RCA outs, EFM out, and Interface Connector.

Can this be connected to a DD/DTS receiver to get sound from DD/DTS encoded discs?

I have over 400 laserdiscs that I rented in my Video Store before closing it and I can only get audio from the first 100 or so.

My old receiver was stolen and I have not bought a new one yet.

Or should I just get a big box and an anchor???

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Jun 5, 2000
    Rachael Bellomy
    Bruce, all Laserdiscs have an analog track so that older players can play them, even DTS LDs. Well, if the player does not have a composite video output, it can't play AC-3 LD's. On such discs the AC-3 track is embedded in the RF video stream, so you get a picture but digital crackle for sound.
    I don't know alot about industrial players, which is what this is. Are you sure it isn't considerably older. Anyway, I think you could run the player's RF video output into an RF converter and get mono sound and composite video on all the discs except AC-3 discs, but why bother? Throw this player away and get a modern player that has composite video out, optical or coaxial digital out for PCM & DTS, and an AC-3 output. To play AC-3 discs you'll also need an AC-3 RF converter or a head unit with one built-in. Best wishes from Laserland!