Pioneer LD Player Recommendation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_S, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Well I finally broke down and ordered the THX Star Wars LD trilogy off Ebay. Problem is, I don't currently have a LD player. Can anyone give me some recommendations of a good Pioneer model that can usually be found on Ebay for around 100-150 dollars? Basically I will just be using the player for these movies until they are released on DVD (of course the ones on DVD will likely be SE versions). Thanks in advance!

Brandon Smith

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I bought a Pioneer Elite CLD52 off of ebay for $150 about six months ago. It is a very good player, it has optical and coaxil digital out for DTS and has dual side play. It does not have an AC3 out for Dolby digital. It has average picture quality. Not two months ago, I bought an Elite CLD79 off ebay brand new. The picture quality is far above the 52. I would recommend the 52 if $150 is the most you want to spend. For a little more, you could get an Elite CLD59, which will be a step above the 52. The players with above average picture quality are the CLD703/704, Elite 79, Elite97, and Elite99, as well as several high priced Japanese models. Of course these models are more expensive but are worth it if you intend to start buying more lasers (which you likely will). I would recommend buying the best player you can afford. Spending the extra money will pay off in terms of picture quality. Check on ebay and watch the hardware for sale forum here as good deals will pop up often. Hope this helps.

Greg

3. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

another great pioneer laser player is the cld-d606. has ac3 rf out and optical. my player was built in feb/97 and i paid around $300 for it. today could be found for much less money. it also plays cd-r with no problems. search ebay for laser, lazer/ disk, disc, LD. good-luck, rob

4. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Thanks for the info so far guys! I see a Pioneer CLD-990 that is resonably priced on Ebay currently. Any info on that model? Thanks for the help. [​IMG]
    Brandon Smith

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Brandon, the CLD-990 is one of the worst models they ever made. It's old as the hills too, about 1990. The problem with the 990 is that the laser lens is for all pratical purposes not adjustable. If it won't read some sides/discs there isn't much to be done about it. I had one in 1991 briefly and ended up giving it away to a friend to play CD's on. It wouldn't play some CD's too he said. It also has no advanced features, no PCM output, no auto-flip, a lousy remote, ect. Don't even think about buying it!

Here's some la gata del disco grande approved models:

CLD's 99, 97, 79, 704, 703, 606, 604, 504, 503, 406, 505

DVL's 91, 90, 919, 909

Panasonic LX-900, LX-1000U, LX-600

Each list is ranked in approximate desirability. Some of the Elite models would double as great CD players, 99, 97, 79, and 59.

An old Elite player like the CLD-52 or CLD-53 are also a possibility but they are early '90's. But, they're better built than more recent regular Pioneers and have auto-flip and PCM out. Ask my advice before you buy. There are some old dogs out there that won't hunt. The 990 is one. Best wishes on your LD quest!

6. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Rachael,
    I found a Pioneer 503 on Ebay that is currently within my price range. I may try to bid on that on and see what happens. My Star Wars LD's will be here by the end of the week and it is going to kill me not being able to watch them for at least another week [​IMG]. Thanks for all the help!
    Brandon Smith

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you're just buying LD for three movies, I would recommend that you not discount the very simple single side players. It seems that it's popular among our HTF LD community to always recommend top end players without taking the practicality into consideration. Two side breaks is not that tough to deal with, believe me, I had a single side player for years, and my brother has one now. Some players to consider on a budget: Pioneer CLD-S201, S104, S304, M301, M401, M403 (the M4s have digital out!).

You don't need AC-3 output for that excellent set of discs, so since AC-3 players are so much in demand why pay for it? If you decide to spring for Back to the Future or the Indiana Jones movies they're not AC-3 either. Even the Sony MDP-333 and 455 would be good to pick up for just three movies. The sound and picture will kick VHS's ass all over the house, prologic from LaserDisc PCM tracks, even from the analog out, will be a revelation. Video won't be up to DVD standards, but it should be very pleasant.

8. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Below is a link to a site with information about various Pioneer players. It's better to wait a week or two than to buy a player you won't be happy with. When I got my CLD52 and first played my Star Wars THX laser, I was disappointed with the image. Nothing worse than spending money on a piece of equipment and then not being happy with it. If you plan on buying more lasers down the road, I would again suggest you get the best player you can afford.
    http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/pioneer1.htm

9. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Well guys I finally got my LD player today. The problem is I haven't gotten my Star Wars LDs yet. Oh well. Everything is hooked up but basically all I can do is listen to audio CDs at the moment. I decided on the Pioneer CLD-503. Hopefully my LDs will arrive tomorrow. I can't wait! Thanks for all the help.

Brandon Smith

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Congratulations Brandon! I think you made a good choice. LD's PCM Pro-Logic will suprise you. You'll wish 2.0 DVD's sounded that good, I bet. I have those 3 discs and the '97 AC-3 remix set. The last time I watched the '97 version of STAR WARS I played the PCM track instead of the AC-3 and I thought it sounded better. Maybe the dialog wasn't anchored to the centre channel quite as well, but the bass seemed a tad deeper and...Well, it sounded damn good.

Use the player's optical out if possible. Your head unit may want to treat 2-channel PCM Pro-Logic as just stereo? You may have to manually engage Pro-Logic.

I hope the player works well with LD's. If it's doing CD's good, that's a good sign. Now that you have a player you ought to look around for a few other discs. There are some great od movies out there on LD that aren't on DVD and other stuff too. I have the entire first season of THE ADDAMS FAMILY TV show, 24 episodes, on 6 discs. There are some great music LD's too that aren't "popular" enough to get on DVD. STYLE COUNCIL, DR. JOHN, APRIL WINE, ect....

I've continued collecting 30's and 40's films on LD because the DVD age has been ignoring them. Best wishes from Laserland!

11. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Hello Brandon. I'm always lurking whenever an LD player converstion starts.[​IMG] The best one that you could get for the money would probably be a 703/704 or Panny LX1000. An Elite 59 would be good as well. The 703/704 and 1000 would give you 51 DB S/N for video. THE 59 would give you INCREDIBLE sound but only has a 50 video db(but still a better picture than a non-Elite model). Each increase of 1 in the video db gives you somewhere between 8-10% better picture quality. The 97 & 99 are 52 db, while the 9s(the Japanese players-S9 and X9) are around 54 db or higher! For what you're looking for, a 503 or 504 would be excellent. HOWEVER[​IMG], there could be a decent chance that 3 or 4 titles may not whet your appetite, a 703/704/LX1000 would be worth the extra investment. Not to mention they are also excellent CD transports. Hope this helps!

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Gezz. I just realized I haven't tried out DPL II with my Star Wars laserdiscs yet! Hmm time I should [​IMG]

13. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Chris,
    I got a chance to watch ANH and Empire today in DPL II. Man did they sound good! Better than most DVDs I have. Is the soundtrack on the THX laserdisc uncompressed PCM? Whatever it was, it sure sounded great. Enjoy [​IMG]
    Brandon Smith

14. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Brandon_S, Please let use know what you think when you have looked at some movies with the CLD-503. I have owned that player before, it is an good place to begin.
    Also test if you get the best picture with s-video or composite.
    Hope you have fun with your new play thing[​IMG]
    As Rachael said you will probably be suprised over the PCM
    audio of laserdisc, I prefer that over DD. But I also have a
    high-end stereo amplifier that sounds really good and the
    surround effects are working rather good in stereo.
    -Mattias-

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

16. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Digging up an old thread...

Earlier Corbin stated that the 59 would give incredible sound. What would be the best way to connnect the audio for this? Optical seems to take PCM->ADC->optical out where as the analog out would be a simplier signal path. Is analog the way to go for CD output?

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Jeff, the 59 has no optical out. It has a coaxial PCM/DTS out. If your head unit has analog by-pass I'd use the analog outputs. If not I'd hand off the PCM to your head unit's D/A converter. Best wishes!